About the Role: ZanaAfrica Group is looking for a master storyteller and creative thinker to join our team as our new Creative Director.
We’re looking for someone who can harness the power of the incredible creative team talent – a group of writers, illustrators, designers and researchers– to ensure our goal of equipping girls and women with the tools they need to live healthy lives is effectively delivered and reaching our target audience.
Culture: We’re a small group of bold, smart, dedicated individuals from diverse backgrounds who are passionate about changing the landscape for girls and women.
ZanaAfrica values girls and womens’ right to choice in their reproductive health management, including access to family planning and abortion services.
Develop and implement the brands and creative elements that bring the Nia Movement to life
- Create strategic plans, guidelines and value propositions for ZanaAfrica Group, Nia Movement and related brands with the Branding & Marketing Officer and other team members.
- Build ZanaAfrica’s existing and future product brands and oversee initiatives including package design, marketing campaigns, events, health education platforms (digital and analogue) as well as multimedia digital channels.
- Develop and present concepts for products, campaigns and other related initiatives
- Test, edit and iterate all products through consumer insights and other monitoring and evaluation activities with the Chief Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
- Establish timelines and work plans for the phased development of products, campaigns and initiatives
- Coordinate and manage the creative and product teams to ensure delivery of high-quality work in line with brand guidelines
- Work closely with the creative team to identify, determine and engage best practice and partners in order to drive and deliver Nia branded products within the set guidelines and timelines
- Build partnerships across sectors to engage in creative mechanisms to share the Nia Movement as widely as possible
- Track trends and insights locally and globally
- Lead the development of a digital media plan with the Connectivity Specialist for all social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter); oversee execution of social media plan
- Work with Graphic Designer to ensure all visual assets are in compliance with Nia Brand Guidelines
- Work closely with the Production Director ensure each issue of Nia Teen Magazine—our health and lifestyle magazine for young adolescent girls—is harmonized for content and visual aspects
- Coordinate with Production Director to ensure completion of deliverables for Supervising Illustrator and Graphic Designer to create artwork and graphic elements for the Nia Teen Magazine
- Oversee and ensure the delivery of high standard/quality Nia products by 3rd party suppliers (production and print houses).
- Direct Graphic Designer in building layout, infographics and any other visual elements
- Oversee Supervising Illustrator to ensure completion and clarity of the comic
- Provide art direction with Supervising Illustrator and Production Director to any photo shoots to generate needed photo assets
- BA in Communications, Marketing, Design, Advertising or related field
- 6+ years of experience in creative industry and/or consumer products, experience working with an FMCG a plus
- 2-3 years of leadership in creative project management from conceptualization to execution; previous experience in publishing is a significant plus
- Strong creative conceptual skills with experience to implement robust brand building strategies across analogue and digital platforms
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English and Kiswahili, including the ability to articulate creative concepts to team and stakeholders
- Expert Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite; Strong foundation in design and visual sensibility
- Strong planning and organizational skills; ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously
- Well-versed in women and girls’ issues, reproductive health and human rights
- Comfort across range of channels: digital, photography, video, paper based content, etc.; Intimate understanding of design, copy and web best practices
- A strong understanding of brand development and multi-platform engagement concepts; highly engaged in social and cultural trends in East Africa and Globally
- Excellent interpersonal skills; Comfort and professionalism in interacting across different sectors to engage in creative partnerships
- Unapologetic belief and passion for girls and women’s rights
- Fluent Kiswahili highly preferred
How to apply:
To apply, please include the position title and your name in the subject line of the email and send your CV, Cover Letter and Portfolio in PDF format to email@example.com along with a link to your LinkedIn profile and/or website.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS AND APPLICATIONS NOT IN PDF FORMAT WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted on a rolling basis.
Closing date: 31 Oct 2016