Position: Deputy Country Finance Manager
Direct hierarchy: Country Finance, HR & Compliance Manager
Contract Duration: One year
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Starting Date: November 2016
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide.
ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters.
Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context.
Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development.
Under the direct supervision of the Country Finance, HR and Compliance Manager, the successful candidate’s main objectives will include;
- Provides leadership in the development and implementation of the finance department’s strategy, operational plans and policies.
- Overall responsible for accountancy, financial reporting, compliance of internal finance procedures,
- Provide technical assistance to the Country Finance, HR and Compliance Manager and the rest of the finance team members.
- Provide Country Finance, HR and Compliance Manager with a proper consumption analysis.
Accountancy and procedures:
- Be proactive on financial control side to ensure that the procedures are followed and requirements met at all levels.
- Ensure an efficient flow of information between financial follow up tools and other department.
- Oversee recording and validation of financial data by the Finance Officer.
- Supervise the yearly and semi-yearly financial closing.
- Oversee preparation of financial statements, tax forecasts, cash flow reports, statutory accounts and other management reports.
- Approve all the documentation for finance in absence of the Country Finance, HR and Compliance Manager.
- Establish budgeting procedures including setting up of job/project budget commitments, capturing and tracking of project costs and advising on the need to revise budgets.
- Updating the BFU’s on monthly basis and ensure the timely completion of this monthly requirement.
- Develops a proper budget analysis on Monthly basis and proposed corrective measure to Country Finance, HR and Compliance Manager
- Link with other departments for budget purposes
- Analysis on monthly basis cash flow required vs budget projection and real consumption.
- Update the Monthly Mission report.
- Together with the Project Development Department and Program Department, draft budget proposal to be review by the Country Finance, HR and Compliance Manager.
- To ensure rules and requirement are fully met in budget proposals.
- To update a “donor guidelines” document on a regular basis. Organize trainings of donor guidelines.
- Ensure financial requirements (budgets, eligibility of costs, flexibility, reporting, etc.) of donors are met.
- To prepare financial sheets and coordinate with logistics team on the procurement plans.
Reporting and Donor Compliance:
- To prepare interim and final report to donors,
- Develop internal reports for coordination decision making.
- To ensure an on-time and efficient flow of information.
Management and capacity building:
- Lead, manage, appraise and motivate capital and field level finance team members.
- Assist in the preparation of workshops
- Facilitate the work of external auditors and provide all assistance required
- To ensure filling and organization of the department is optimal and efficient
- Be part of the procurement committee
- Field travel in Kenya and Somalia to train and provide guidance to field team.
Other tasks and responsibilities as requested by the Country Finance,HR and Compliance Manager.
- Masters level education in Finance or equivalent
- Qualified ACA, ACCA or CIMA Accountant
- 5+ years of solid experience in Finance Management and monitoring systems with at least 3 years in a managerial position
- Knowledge of NGO donors and their financial reporting requirements
- Working knowledge of accounting software (SAGA) is desirable
- Excellent computer skills with high proficiency in Microsoft excel
- Good analytical and reporting skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently
- Strong ability to be able to manage and prioritize multiple tasks
- Experience in training and developing Finance staff
- Proactive, self-starter – able to work with minimum supervision.
- Excellent time management, organization, and prioritization skills, with the ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines.
- Flexible, enthusiastic and a willingness to listen and learn from others.
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae detailing three work related referees and contacts to firstname.lastname@example.org and received on or before 5.00PM on 19th October 2016
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind.
If you receive any email/calls in relation to ACTED’s recruitment and you are unsure about its validity or origin, please contact us on email@example.com
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.