AFEX, a Lonrho company, provides camp construction, catering, management and logistics support to the Oil and Gas, Mining, UN and NGO sectors, in some of the most remote corners of Africa.
With headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, AFEX provides international standard service delivery, combined with 30 years of regional operational experience.
The AFEX Team is dedicated to ensuring clients have peace of mind that their projects will run on schedule and to budget, with their personnel being cared for to a high international standard.
AFEX wishes to recruit a competent, innovative and self-driven person to fill the following position:
Job Summary: Responsible for the management of all elements of the entire camp to ensure high levels of client satisfaction and excellent financial performance through the management and development of the team and great operational standards.
This includes overseeing catering, maintenance, housekeeping, coordinating day to day operations and being responsible for the overall QHSE performance of the camp, and to ensure that the best quality of service and products are achieved so as to meet AFEX and client standards.
Key Duties and Tasks:
In line with the Company’s strategy the Camp Manager should build a strategy as outlined below:-
Competitive Advantage: –
- The camp manager should ensure that camp is operating in conditions that put the camp in a favorable business position over our Competitors.
- Identify ways and means in which the company can generate and increase value.
Relationship Enhancement: –
- On the ground the camp manager should aim on enhancing and building stronger and better customer relationships with the client that will promote future Company growth
- Manage the client relationships at the camp seeking advice from the Camps & Catering Manager, solving any problems and providing regular feedback.
Customer service: –
- Camp manager should ensure Customer satisfaction and that the company achieves in surpassing the client expectations.
- He/she is in charge of after sales service ensuring negative feedbacks are quickly resolved and communicated back to the client.
- Promote a customer service culture in the camp by ensuring that all staff is aware of their customer service obligations
- Within the parameters of the contract, ensure service levels are provided at the highest levels of service.
- Ensure that any additional requests made by the client that fall outside of the scope of work are processed through the correct procedures.
- Implement quality monitoring systems that measure customer satisfaction, client and contract compliance.
- Provide employees with regular communications about client feedback
- Review camp working procedures to identify better working practices, liaising with the camp managers within the AFEX business to share new ideas and initiatives.
- Represent the company with government officials, regulators, internal and external auditors and local leaders at the camp.
- Attend on-site meetings, raising any issues at the camp and dealing with complaints regarding AFEX service and products.
- Management of all AFEX Staff, ensuring clear communication and implementation of AFEX SOPs and QHSE requirements, performing staff evaluation, running fire and evacuation drills and ensuring business continuity plans are in place.
- Plan and implement the rotation of camp staff with HR Nairobi to ensure that the camps are adequately staffed.
- Coordinate all camp stock resupply orders send to AFEX procurement, approve and sign all stock requisition forms (Kitchen & Housekeeping) and the monthly stock report and send to accounts department.
- Liaise with direct manager (HR, QHSE, Finance, IT) to ensure the support functions meet the needs of the business.
- Maintain adequate staffing levels and rosters in accordance with the labour budget.
- Ensure that all camp residents, staff and visitors receive the general camp induction on arrival.
- Implement the AFEX camp induction process for all new staff.
- Responsible for all local recruitment in accordance with AFEX SOPs, in coordination with the HR office in Nairobi, and oversee that all staff have satisfactorily completed a pre-employment medical before being issued with the correct employment contract.
- Embracing and supporting the culture of preferred employer.
- Manage staff welfare at the camp with input from HR Nairobi.
- Make sure that supervisors train staff to improve general service and individual performance.
- Manage effective training and development of all team members.
- Lead and communicate effectively to maintain high motivation levels with staff.
- Promote and encourage multi-skilling amongst employees.
- Recognize and develop key performers.
- Acknowledge weakness / issues within current workforce culture and take steps to develop and implement new culture to ensure contract retention is not jeopardized.
- Responsible for reviewing camp P&L reports regularly to ensure camp operates within budgets as provided by Finance & Accounting.
- Work with FP&A and Camps and Catering Manager to identify cost savings and efficiency initiatives while simultaneously maintaining high-level camp standards of operation.
- Strive to exceed target budgets in accordance with Camp Management Incentive Scheme.
- Responsible for the cash at camp, making payments, receiving money and maintaining accurate accounts which are sent weekly to AFEX HO.
- Ensure the camp meets the requirements of the QHSE Management System, including policies, SOPs, WIs and related documents.
- Promote a positive QHSE culture.
- Ensure that all work has been risk assessed, a safe system of work developed and that work is carried out accordingly.
- Liaise with the QHSE Field Officer (or QHSE Head Office Team) on all relevant matters, including current and forthcoming works. This includes seeking and following advice and to report any differences of opinion to Head Office.
- Ensure that regular toolbox talks take place prior to specific tasks.
- Ensure that sufficient trained staff are available at all times to meet the requirements of the QHSE Management System
- In the absence of a QHSE Field Officer, to ensure that all duties allocated to the QHSE Field Officer are undertaken on-site
- Ensure that AFEX staff, especially food handlers, have a 6 monthly medical check and that full cognizance is taken of the findings when allocating staff resources.
- Any additional duties as assigned by the Camps and Catering Manager.
- Work in full accordance with AFEX policies, procedures, work instructions and all relevant elements of AFEX Management Systems.
Education, Skills & Qualifications:
- A first Degree BA / BSc in Hotel Management or related field
- Must have 5 years’ experience in a 5 star hotel in a high management position.
- Good communication and customer service skills
- Experience in SAGE will be an added advantage.
- City & Guilds 706/2 & HACCP
- Leadership and management skills
- Be willing to work in remote site
Applicants meeting the above requirements should send their applications and a detailed Curriculum Vitae giving full details of their qualifications, experience and full contact address including day and evening telephone numbers, e-mail address and names and contact details of three referees by 21st October 2016 to email@example.com
NB: Please include the POSITION TITLE in the subject line of your email.
NB: Please include the POSITION TITLE in the subject line of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.