Kenyatta University is in the process of opening a new state of the art Hospital – Kenyatta University Hospital (KUH) in line with the University Strategic Plan and the Government Vision 2030 Development Plan.
The Hospital aspires to meet the health needs of all Kenyans as well as regional and global citizens. The hospital will also offer training of highly skilled medical personnel while carrying out biomedical research.
To this end the University seeks to employ a highly qualified and self-driven person to the following position:
Director, Kenyatta University Hospital
Reporting to the Kenyatta University Hospitality Board of Directors, the Hospital Director will provide strategic direction and leadership to the Hospital, lead the development and execution of the Hospital’s long and short-term plans and ultimately all day-to-day management decisions at the Kenyatta University Hospitality.
Main Duties and Responsibilities.
- Ensure sustained and effective relationships between the Hospital and the Board, Kenyatta University and the Government of Kenya through the relevant Ministries and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that the Hospital operates in accordance with its vision, mission, plans and policies set by the Board, by overseeing quarterly monitoring and evaluation (M & E).
- Act as direct link between the Hospital and Kenyatta University, which creates an amicable and smooth working environment in order to facilitate collaboration and cooperation between the two institutions for smooth clinical referral, clinical research and clinical training services in the hospital.
- Work towards maintaining the Hospital’s profitability in order to ensure that it is financially sound meeting all its financial obligations.
- Provide the necessary transformational leadership to the Hospital in order to meet stakeholders’ expectations in line with Constitutional requirements and other legal frameworks.
- Ensure prudent and economical Hospital resource management for the achievement of its strategic objectives.
- Oversee and direct the Hospital’s strategic initiatives and capacity development in line with local and international healthcare frameworks such as Kenya Vision 2030 and UN Social Development Goals.
- Oversee, promote and maintain the culture of clinical research and training and ensure that the Hospital has sufficient infrastructure facilities to support it.
- Oversee, initiate, establish and maintain inter-institutional collaboration and strategic partnership with other relevant healthcare institutions in clinical referral, clinical research and training services in the region and beyond.
- Develop and foster effective collaboration among the Hospital’s departments, staff leadership, faculty and other affiliated services to ensure an integrated approach to providing services, and fulfilling the Hospital’s clinical service delivery, research and training goals and objectives.
- Promote and ensure a culture of compliance with all established statutory and professional regulations and requirements, good governance principles and best practices in the Hospital.
- Oversee and ensure competitive compensation of human resources in order to attract and retain highly skilled individuals in the Hospital.
- Oversee performance and reward management by ensuring that performance contracts are prepared and performance reviews conducted in order to identify, develop and reward exemplary efforts and performance as well as motivate staff.
- Work through the management team and medical leadership of the Hospital, serving as a resource to help reduce costs, enhance revenues, achieve effective utilization and quality goals and objectives, analyse and utilize information to develop and support management decisions.
- Lead Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) efforts in the Hospital, show compassion and be responsive to the needs of the surrounding communities and persons.
(b) Oversight of the Hospital’s strategic direction
- Oversee and coordinate the formulation of the Hospital’s strategic plans and other operational budgets, periodic work plans and periodic goals for the Hospital and its departments.
- Ensure that annual operation plans and budgets are prepared and submitted to the Board and other respective authorities in time and in compliance with statutory requirements.
- Oversee the formulation of the Hospital’s strategic initiatives, objectives and overall Hospital business plans and lead senior management teams in high performance and productivity innovation.
- Oversee and coordinate monitoring and evaluation of the Hospital’s strategic plan and budget implementation in order to establish its progress and success and determine any corrective actions if there is diversion from the original plans.
- Act as the Hospital’s overall accounting officer to the Hospital Board and present the appropriate annual financial statements.
- Evaluate risk and business trade-offs and make changes to develop the optimal business solutions and results.
- Ensure that the Hospital operates effectively, efficiently and economically for heightened performance, productivity and thus profitability, in order to be able to meet all its financial obligations including its (KU) loan repayment and be financially sustainable.
(c) Oversight of Administration Governance and Quality
- Ensure that the Hospital’s “culture” is patient-centred, evidence based and team-based, and work towards achievement of its vision.
- Facilitate the improvement of core processes and systems of the Hospital to achieve set targets and satisfy both the internal and external stakeholders by ensuring provision of service excellence and quality care, at cost-effective rates.
- Oversee the strategic and operational aspects of referral networks, within the Ministry of Health referral guidelines, to ensure effective partnerships are formed which will facilitate the development of a comprehensive health care system.
- Ensure that the Hospital is nationally and internationally accredited and recognized.
- Perform any other responsibilities determined and deemed necessary by the Hospital’s Board or the Government of Kenya.
(d) Participation in professional forums, regulatory bodies and other healthcare organizations.
- Participate in activities of the professional and regulatory bodies in the region and beyond.
- Communicate and collaborate with the relevant governmental, private and non-governmental organizations.
- Must have a Bachelors’ Degree from a recognized institution.
- Must have a Masters’ Degree in Health Sciences, Healthcare Systems Management / Administration or Business Sciences from a recognized institution.
- Earned Doctorate Degree from a recognized institution is an added advantage.
- At least 10 years’ working experience in a top management/administrative position in a similar sized national or international governmental, non-governmental or corporate organization.
- Current registration with a relevant regulatory or professional body.
- Knowledge of Public Procurement and Disposal Act and Public Sector Financial Management and Service Regulations.
- Training in Public Administration from a recognized institution.
- Budgeting, Accounting, Planning and Reporting Skills.
- Human Resource Management Skills.
- Knowledge of professional standards.
- Project Management Skills.
- Quality Assurance in Healthcare service is an added advantage.
- Computer literate.
Additional Skills / Requirements
- Meet the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong team building skills.
- Strong supervisory skills.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Conflict resolution and integration skills.
- Strong ability to build effective management teams.
- Must have a track record of leading profitable organization (s).
Terms of Service: The terms for the above position includes a generous medical scheme, house allowance and commuting allowance.
The applicants should provide full details of educational and professional qualification, work experience, present post and salary, applicant’s telephone number and e-mail address.
Copies of certificates and testimonials should also be enclosed giving the names and addresses of three (3) referees who are conversant with the applicant’s competence in area of specialization.
Applicants and Referees should write directly to:
P. O. Box 43844 – 00100
P. O. Box 43844 – 00100
Applications and letters from the referees should be received not later than, 1st November 2016.
Kenyatta University is an equal opportunity employer and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Women and persons with disability are encouraged to apply.