About Hivos: Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources.
Job Context: Hivos East Africa has received funding from Bloomberg Media Initiative for Africa (BMIA) and the Ford Foundation to establish and manage a two-year Community Media Fund (CMF).
Hivos East Africa is the designated grants administrator for this fund thus expected to avail the requisite staff to manage the fund. One of the core staff members will be the Grants Officer, an equivalent to a Programmes’ Officer.
- Prepare and publicize a call for proposals;
- Assess received applications;
- Undertake grantee institutional assessments and prepare grantee assessment reports;
- Prepare grantee contracts to NGOs and media;
- Monitor grants implementation;
- Training community media journalists in investigative journalism;
- Production and publication of investigative pieces;
- Measuring impact of investigative pieces;
- Grant making to non-traditional reporters/institutions;
- Monitoring of grantee perfomance and reporting on grantee activities;
- Grant making to tech-driven media content.
- A Post Graduate Degree in Social Sciences;
- Track record in media development work;
- Strong networks within the media fraternity (journalists, government, media, development CSOs, commercial and community media houses);
- Grant making experience (desirable);
- Knowledge of key media development issues in Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa;
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills;
- A self-starter, ambitious and self-motivated person;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Ability to make and objective decisions;
- Great organisational and planning skills;
- Ability to act on own initiative and to organise, plan and prioritise own workload to meet deadlines.
Hivos offers a competitive package based on the candidate’s qualifications.
Like to apply?
To apply, kindly send your CV and cover letter explaining why you are the suitable candidate for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.