Kenya Red Cross Society is one of the largest humanitarian organizations in Kenya. Its mission is to be the leading humanitarian organization in Kenya delivering excellent quality service of preventing and Alleviating Human Suffering.
With financial support from the British Red Cross and the Department for International Development (DFID); KRCS is implementing a Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Project in Kenya.
The proposed project targets to improve hygiene and sanitation practices and increase access to improved water and sanitation for 70,000 people in Taita Taveta County.
The Society is looking for a qualified person to fill the following position:
Position Title: Project Officer – Software
Position Title: Project Officer – Software
Reporting to: Regional Programme Coordinator – Coast Region
Job location: Taita Taveta County
Are you passionate about transforming the lives of the most vulnerable?
Can you ignite behavior change to be embedded within the community long after a project is implemented?
Are you able to mobilize and engage with the community and other stakeholders, listening and responding to their needs continuously?
Do you have the skills and competencies required to strengthen the community and stakeholder engagement process?
Then we are looking for you!
Overall Purpose: The successful candidate will be responsible and accountable to the Project Coordinator & Regional Programme Coordinator for effective planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of WASH Software interventions under the WASH in Kenya Project.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Community Mobilization and Engagement: Conduct community mobilization and sensitization throughout the project implementation period to strengthen their capacities to take ownership of the projects; select and organize community representatives in line with existing government structures for participation in WASH activities
- Capacity Building: Implement WASH related capacity building programmes aimed at strengthening the capacities of the County Government staff, volunteers and target communities. Targeted trainings shall include: Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS), Sanitation Marketing, Child to Child (CtC), Menstrual Hygiene Management (MHM) among others
- Community Hygiene and Sanitation Promotion: Implement a comprehensive Hygiene and Sanitation Promotion Programme using the proposed project approaches to address the identified key risks to health for sustainable behaviour change
- School Programme: Conduct WASH assessments to select priority primary schools to benefit from project interventions and implement a sustainable WASH programme in schools in line with government policy and regulations
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Reporting: Conduct regular monitoring and supervision of all WASH related software interventions; Institute and appropriate Beneficiary Communication and Accountability Mechanism and ensure Value for Money of all interventions implemented; Participate in conducting WASH surveys, studies, research, evaluations, assessments among others; Execute quality results based reporting in line with KRCS and donor reporting requirements
- Communication and Visibility: Undertake specific communication and visibility actions in compliance with donor and KRCS guidelines – Design and pre-test appropriate Information Education and Communication (IEC) materials for target communities in local languages; Train volunteers in the use of mobile phones for data collection and conveying hygiene and sanitation messages through the bulk sms, poster campaigns and radio messaging
- Networking and Collaboration: Implement strategies for strengthening collaborative partnership linkages with stakeholders, government agencies, the private sector and other players; Represent KRCS at WASH related forums to promote the activities of KRCS and the project
- Sustainability: Institute adequate measures aimed at strengthening the County Government staff, volunteers and community to take ownership, operate, maintain and manage in a sustainable manner the installed WASH infrastructure
- Others: Participate in the preparation of project work plan, budgets and performance targets for the project; Conduct resource mobilization initiatives by preparing and submitting concept papers or proposals and any other duties assigned
- Degree in Community Development, Public Health, Social Sciences or equivalent qualifications
- Three (3) years of relevant working experience
Key Competencies and personal attributes
- Knowledge or willingness to learn on Sanitation Marketing
- Knowledge on MHM, CTC and CLTS methodologies
- Experience in designing community driven projects
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills including the ability to build collaborative relationships with sensitivity to cultural, ethnic and political issues
- Demonstrate wide knowledge on current WASH related issues
- Strong understanding and experience of community engagement
- Strong analytical skills
- Demonstrably strong written and verbal communication and reporting skills
- Good understanding of budgets and budget management
- Commitment to the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross
Applications should have a
- 1 Page cover letter explaining how you meet the requirements of the job
- Curriculum vitae (maximum 2 pages),
- The names and contacts of three referees.
All applications should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
So as to reach us not later than 14th October 2016.
No additional information should be appended.
Note: applications will not be considered if they do not follow the above.