Job Location: Dadaab, Kenya
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 4000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents.
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011. Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations.
The Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya with offices and operations in Somalia (Puntland, Somaliland and Mogadishu), Kenya (Dadaab and Kakuma ), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa, Dolo Ado, Shire,Gambella and Asosa), South Sudan (Juba, Awil, Alek and Aweril) and Yemen (Sa’naa and Aden).
The NRC Horn of Africa & Yemen mission is an expanding programme. NRC started its operations in Kenya in the refugee camps in Dadaab in February 2007. NRC has WASH, Education, Food Security and Livelihood and Information Counseling and Legal Assistant programmes implemented in the refugee camps in Dadaab.
- Support the design of ICLA information campaigns including in the context of the voluntary repatriation exercise.
- Support the development of information, education and communication (IEC) materials/brochures on HLP, legal identity and HLP and their translation into local languages.
- Organize and ensure the timely implementation of information campaigns under projects for use in the local media including radio stations and TV talk shows and in group information sessions conducted by ICLA to raise awareness of refugees rights, entitlements and responsibilities.
- Support the development of targeted HLP training materials for humanitarian actors and local actors including UN agencies, INGOs, national/local NGOs and refugee leadership.
- Support HLP training sessions and ensure lessons learned are documented for future training.
- Support relevant M&E process for designated project activities under approved project work plan.
- Support the preparation and compilation of weekly, monthly and mid-term report.
- Any other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- University degree in law, political science, social science or other relevant discipline.
- Diploma with experience will be considered.
- Minimum 3 years humanitarian experience with refugees/internally displaced persons (IDPs) at field level with an NGO or other international organization.
- Experience working as a Project Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge of English and knowledge of Somali is an asset
- Social science
- Political science
- College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Ability to identify vulnerable groups e.g. women at risk, elderly etc…
- Ability to work under pressure, establish priorities and plan, coordinate own work plan, use time efficiently and apply judgement in the context of competing deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Excellent oral/communication skills and ability to articulate ideas in a clear and accurate manner including the ability to prepare and edit a variety of written documents, reports and briefs.
- Experience of legal assistance activities and awareness raising campaigns.
- Knowledge of the political and security situation in Somalia.
Duty station: Dadaab
Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Information, Counselling & Legal Assistance
- Role: Assistant
Candidates should apply on line by going through www.nrc.no.
Deadline for application: 31/10/2016