Job title: HMIS & Data Use Officer
(2 positions: Turkana & Samburu)
Department: Kenya Country Team – Afya Timiza Project
Post holder: Vacant
Reporting to: M&E Advisor and Health Systems Strengthening Advisor
Responsible for: n/a
Liaison with: Project team members, consortium partners, headquarters staff, consultants
Type of contract: Fixed term
Organisation: Options Consultancy Services Limited was established in 1992 and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marie Stopes International.
We are a consultancy organisation providing technical and management expertise in the health and social sectors to governments and international development partners to transform the health of women and children.
We provide information, expertise and influence to governments, health workers, NGOs and businesses to catalyse change so that health services can be accessed by the people who need them most.
Main purpose of job: The Health Management Information System (HMIS) & Data Use Officer will provide technical assistance to the county government to strengthen the quality and routine use of Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health (RMNCAH) data, with a focus on government systems.
The purpose of the role is to promote the use of data driven decision making at all levels, to improve RMNCAH outcomes.
- Support the HMIS component of the organizational capacity assessment (OCA) and identifying capacity gaps
- Work in partnership with the county government to create a capacity development plan to improve HMIS performance
Provide technical assistance, training and mentorship on specific technical areas, such as:
- Coordination of M&E activities through a functioning TWG, and improved M&E planning through the development of a county M&E framework
- Quarterly data quality assessments
- Capacity building of HMIS mentors
- Availability and utilization of new MOH data collection tools
- Regular data use forums and other data use mechanisms (e.g. dashboards, scorecards, talking walls, etc.)
Note: this job description reflects the present requirements of the post. As duties and responsibilities change and develop the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the job holder.
- Degree in Statistics, Health Information Systems, Social Sciences, Demography, Nursing, Public Health or related field
- At least three years demonstrated experience at mid-level in operational experience improving data quality and utilization / HMIS, preferably in the health sector in Kenya.
- Experience working with government or donor funded programs will be an advantage. (Desirable)
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, for-profit private sector entities, local community organizations, donors and other stakeholders, particularly at the sub-national level, preferably including demonstrated experience in building capacity in HMIS.
Skills and attributes
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Commitment to equal opportunities
- Professional-level proficiency in oral and written fluency in English and Swahili
- Practical knowledge of the Turkana / Samburu context an added advantage
How to Apply
The applications should be submitted by Friday 4th November 2016 and should be addressed to Charlotte Langridge and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org