Job title: Human Resources for Health Officer
(1 position based in Samburu, supporting Turkana and Samburu)
Department: Kenya Country Team: Afya Timiza Project
Post holder: Vacant
Reporting to: Health Systems Strengthening Advisor
Responsible for: n/a
Liaison with: Project team members, consortium partners, headquarters staff, consultants
Type of contract: Fixed term
Organisation: Options Consultancy Services Limited was established in 1992 and is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marie Stopes International.
We are a consultancy organisation providing technical and management expertise in the health and social sectors to governments and international development partners to transform the health of women and children.
We provide information, expertise and influence to governments, health workers, NGOs and businesses to catalyse change so that health services can be accessed by the people who need them most.
Main purpose of job: The Human Resources for Health (HRH) Officer will provide technical assistance to the county governments of Turkana and Samburu to strengthen county, sub-county and facility level HRH priorities, resulting in improved workforce availability, distribution, capacity, and retention.
- Support the HRH component of the organizational capacity assessment (OCA), identifying capacity gaps
- Work in partnership with the county governments to create a capacity development plan to improve HRH performance
Strategy Development, Training and mentorship
- Liaise with and leverage HRH support for the counties from existing and/or planned donor funded HRH projects (e.g. USAID national mechanisms)
- Provide technical assistance, training and mentorship on specific technical areas, such as:
- HRH leadership at county level through a functional HRH TWG
- HRH strategy development
- HRH mapping
- HRH database development and use
Note: this job description reflects the present requirements of the post. As duties and responsibilities change and develop the job description will be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the job holder.
- Degree or professional certification in Human Resource Management or a related discipline
- At least three years demonstrated experience at mid-level in operational experience designing and managing HRH systems preferably in the health sector in Kenya.
- Experience working with government or donor funded programs will be an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government representatives, for-profit private sector entities, local community organizations, donors and other stakeholders, particularly at the sub-national level, preferably including demonstrated experience in building capacity in HRH.
Skills and attributes
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Commitment to equal opportunities
- Professional-level proficiency in oral and written fluency in English and Swahili
- Practical knowledge of the Turkana / Samburu context an added advantage
How to Apply
The applications should be submitted by Friday 4th November 2016 and should be addressed to Charlotte Langridge and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org