East, Central and Southern Africa Regional
Job Title: Regional Executive Support Officer
Department: Regional Management Unit (RMU)
Supervisor: Regional Director
CARE is an organization driven by its mission to overcome poverty and social injustice.
The CARE East, Central and Southern Africa Regional Office ( ECSARO) is responsible for the oversight of CARE’s operations in the region as well as the provision of support to 16 Country Offices in the region.
The CARE ECSARO in Nairobi is seeking a bright, dynamic and resourceful person to take up an exciting challenge in the capacity of Regional Executive Support Officer, with flexibility to moderately travel to Country offices in the East, Central and Southern Africa region.
Job Summary: The Regional Executive Support Officer position exists to maximize the effective and efficient operation of the Regional Management Team’s ( RMT) areas of responsibility by providing professional administrative support and facilitating necessary action.
The Regional Executive Support Officer is charged with coordinating and managing the activities of the Regional Director (RD).
These activities include preparing written and verbal communication; coordinating meetings, calendar and travel arrangements; drafting correspondence, reports and summaries.
The Regional Executive Support Officer will handle special projects as needed on the Regional Director’s behalf, be able to represent the RD at selected meetings and organize RMT events.
A key responsibility will be to serve as liaison between RMT staff, Country Offices, external constituencies, CARE International members and to manage information flow between them.
Our ideal candidate for this position will be able to demonstrate a capacity to organize themselves and others to work effectively together.
Working with a senior team of different nationalities and based in several countries, the Executive Support Officer will coordinate team communications and activities, keeping us on track with our commitments.
The role will cover a varied range of duties – from supporting the Regional Director with correspondence and travel, through to organizing really high quality international conferences.
It will be essential to be able to balance the need to react and respond to urgent issues arising as well as managing progress on projects. Excellent administrative, organizational, communications and presentation skills will be the key to success.
It will also be really important to be a self-starter, curious and someone who enjoys learning, and to be able to work comfortably with others at a distance and in challenging circumstances. It goes without saying that a commitment to CARE’s mission and values will be essential.
Duties and Responsibilities
Administrative Support /Office Management Assistance to the RD
- Drafting and managing correspondence, managing phone calls.
- Assist the RD manage multiple priorities and stay on schedule.
- Preparing and disseminating materials for meetings and conferences.
- Establish and maintain filing and records management systems to maximize information flow.
- Sorts, reads and annotates incoming mail and documents and facilitating necessary action.
- Monitors reports on monthly expenses and income and advises RD.
- Assist RD with internal and external meetings.
- Anticipate and prepare research and briefing papers in advance of appointments and presentations. Draft subsequent correspondence and follow up.
- Compiles meetings\workshops documentation and provides background documents for the Regional Director.
- Prepare first draft of documents, letters and reports – proofread work produced ; edit and review documents drafted by others for dissemination by RD.
Liaison Between RD & Internal Constituencies
- Take action authorized during RD’s absence and use initiative and judgement to see that matters requiring attention are referred to the delegated authority or handled to minimize effect of RD’s absence.
- Manage information flow between the RD and the constituencies to ensure issues are delegated; the RD is kept informed during absence from office and on return.
- When appropriate represent RD with various audiences via correspondence, email, telephone or in person
Administrative Support to the RMT
- Maintain regional events calendar
- Maintenance of paper and electronic filing systems for the RMT
- Schedule and coordinate regular RMU meetings.
- Responsible for any special projects on behalf of RMT.
- Any other duties assigned.
Some of the ways the ideal candidate might be able to demonstrate these competencies include demonstrable experience in a similar role in a medium to large organization, relevant university degree or equivalent and have excellent written and spoken English.
The ideal candidate should be very comfortable with technology and able to get the most out of tech for our team.
The ideal candidate will be able to share examples of their capacity to organize and manage projects, work with others and solve problems creatively.
Ability to speak another language widely spoken in the region, such as Arabic, French or Portuguese would be an advantage.
In return, we offer an appropriate package, and a learning environment with opportunities for travel.
Required Qualifications and skills
- Bachelors degree and National Diploma in Business Management or equivalent experience that demonstrates similar capacity.
- Three (3) years of experience in an administrative position.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Exercise high level of interpersonal skills, excellent organisation skills, problem solving, trust & confidentiality.
- Ability to use one’s judgement, ability to collect, synthesise and report information including recommendations for action.
- Excellent computer skills.
Decision Making Authority
- Approves payments in line with CARE procedures
- Makes authorized decisions on behalf of RD
Key Relationships / Contacts
(a) Internal Contacts
- Overall reports and is accountable to Deputy Regional Director
- Regional Director
- Executive Assistant
(b) External Contacts
- CARE Atlanta
- Regional Directors Direct Reports
- This position is based in Nairobi
- The scope of work for this position is unpredictable and subject to both internal and external factors.
Core Values and Critical Competencies
- Personal initiative
- Team player
- Personal discipline
- Proactive and reliable
- Ability to Coordinate, control and plan
- Able to work with limited supervision
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV to SOMRecruitment@care.org by December 1, 2016.
Kindly indicate the position title on the subject line when applying.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse