International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI)
Job Title: Program Accountant – Temporary position
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a Program Accountant to provide financial and budgetary support to the BecA-ILRI Hub.
ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia.
The outcomes of these research partnerships help people in developing countries keep their farm animals’ alive and productive, increase and sustain their livestock and farm productivity, find profitable markets for their animal products, and reduce the risk of livestock-related diseases
ILRI is a not-for-profit institution with a staff of about 700 and in 2016, an operating budget of about USD83 million.
A member of the CGIAR Consortium working for a food-secure future, ILRI has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, a principal campus in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and offices in other countries in East, West and Southern Africa and in South, Southeast and East Asia
The Biosciences eastern and central Africa (BecA) Hub is a shared research and biosciences platform. BecA is an initiative developed within the framework of the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD)/African Union African Biosciences initiative.
It consists of a Hub based on the ILRI campus in Nairobi, Kenya and a network of regional nodes and other affiliated laboratories and organizations throughout the region.
The BecA Hub is a modern, state of the art biosciences facility, a suite of shared platforms established for research, capacity building and research related services in support of African and international agricultural scientists.
The BecA Hub facilities are world class, with a range of advanced molecular biology, immunology, diagnostics, crop research, genomics laboratories and bioinformatics platform all equipped with an up-to-date suite of specialized bioscience equipment (e.g. Illumina MiSeq sequencer, ultra high performance liquid chromatography with mass spectrometer (UHPLC-MS), atomic absorption spectrometry (AAS) and specialized facilities (e.g. Biosafety level 3 laboratory, plant growth facilities).
The Hub hosts and conducts research in crop, microbe and livestock areas where new developments in science offer promise to address previously intractable problems constraining Africa’s development. Capacity building is a major goal of all activities.
The scope covers agriculture and food security and their intersections with human health and nutrition, and the sustainable use of Africa’s natural resources.
- Preparing timely and accurate donor financial reports as per specific donor and ILRI guidelines
- Management of sub grantees by ensuring financial reports are received on time as per specific contracts and properly filed for future reference, reviewing their vouchers and financial reports, facilitating funds transfers and follow up on any matters arising from received documentation
- Preparing monthly financial management reports for the program
- Support annual budget preparation and periodic project budgets
- Assist in implementing audit comments as per the management letter
- Reconcile donor receivables and payables to the general ledger
- Work with Grant Officers to ensure full cost items are charged to the projects as per agreements such as research support, ICT, space and overheads
- Participate in project closures
- Prepare proposals budgets as per donor and ILRI guidelines
- Prepare invoices for fellows, donors or any other services to be offered by the BecA-ILRI hub
- Ensure all services revenues are collected and posted correctly in the financial system:- recharges, hub placement fee, bench fee
- Review financial documents of the unit e.g. payment requests, purchase requisitions travel advance forms, travel expense reports, advance settlement forms to ensure they are accurate , charges are to the correct grants and that the spending is within budget
- Maintain an effective filling system for financial and related documents for document retention, ease of reference and retrieval
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Full accounting qualifications- CPA (K) or ACCA
- Minimum of three years of relevant working experience
- Good personal organizational skills, accuracy and attention to detail
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly effective multi-tasking skills, with ability to coordinate, prioritize and organize workload and meet deadlines
Terms of Appointment: This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI’s Nairobi campus. It is open to Kenyan nationals only.
This is a temporary position up to a period ending 15 June 2017.
Job Level: This position is job level 2C.
How to Apply:
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development through our recruitment portal http://ilri.simplicant.com/
on or before 7 December 2016.
The position title and reference number REF: PA/BecA /11/2016 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI.
Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training).
ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI, visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org/
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.