The Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) is a state Authority created under an Act of Parliament No.35 of 2011, with the mandate of holding the police accountable to the public in the performance of their functions.
IPOA will soon open offices in Kisumu, Garissa and Mombasa.
The Authority wishes to recruit a results oriented Kenyan citizen with drive, vision and creativity to fill the following position:-
Head of Legal Services
IPOA Grade 3
Consolidated Salary: KES.236,000 – 351,000
The Head of Legal Services will be responsible to the Director, Complaints Management and Legal Services.
Specific duties and responsibilities will entail:-
(i) Formulating, implementing and reviewing Legal strategies, policies, plans, standards and procedures pertaining to legal services as per the Authority’s strategic plan;
(ii) Ensuring the Authority is adequately represented in legal, civil and criminal court proceedings;
(iii) Participating in discussions and explanations of complex legal concepts and developing processes, risks and opportunities with senior management, Authority’s committees, stakeholders and/or partners;
(iv) Liaising with external agencies on all legal matters affecting the Authority including preparation of appropriate Memoranda of Understanding;
(v) Participating and contributing to negotiations and drafting of treaties and contracts as well as ensuring IPOA’s compliance with all statutory legal obligations;
(vi) Providing legal opinions/advice and writing of reports on legal matters as required;
(vii) Carrying out comprehensive analysis of evidence including evaluation of evidence gathered in the course of investigations and preparing legal reports and briefs while liaising with other departments within the Authority on legal issues pertinent to operations of the Authority;
(viii) Interpreting legal instruments and statutes;
(ix) Coordination case conferences between investigations and legal departments; and
(x) Providing effective supervision of all legal officers and ensuring their performance meets deadlines and quality assurance.
- Must be a citizen of Kenya.
- Meets the requirements of Chapter six of the Constitution of Kenya.
Required functional skills:
For appointment to this grade, an officer must have:
- Served for a minimum period of three (3) years in the grade of either Principal Legal Officer or for a period of twelve (12) years in Legal services, three (3) of which must have been in a management level in the Public Service or Private Sector;
- A Bachelor’s degree in Law or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution;
- A Master’s degree in any of the following disciplines:- Law, Business Administration, Public Policy Development or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution;
- Post graduate Diploma in legal studies;
- Registered as an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
- Certificate in computer application skills;
- Demonstrated professional competence, integrity and capability in work performance; and
- Demonstrate experience in result based strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation as well as financial management skills;Certificate in either Corporate Governance or Strategic Leadership Programme from a recognized institution will be an added advantage.
Required behavioural skills:
- A candidate must be a person of integrity, demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills and be a team player;
- Strong managerial skills, including motivating, developing, coaching and leading teams; and
- Demonstrate high ethical standards;
All applicants MUST attach clearance from the following bodies:
i. Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA);
ii. Ethics and Anti- Corruption Commission (EACC);
iii. Higher Education Loans Board (HELB);
iv. Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI); and
v. Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
How to Apply:
Interested persons who meet the above criteria are invited to send their applications by submitting the duly completed IPOA job application Form (Download HERE) , updated CV, academic certificates, testimonials and the above specified clearances.
Online applications should be sent to email@example.com.
Canvassing and incomplete applications may lead to automatic disqualification.
Applications in a sealed envelope with the job reference number clearly marked should be received by the undersigned on or before Friday, 9th December 2016.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants MUST NOTE that they may be posted to serve in ANY part of the country.
The Chief Executive Officer
Independent Policing Oversight Authority
P.O Box 23035-00100
IPOA is an equal opportunity employer and shall not in its recruitment discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, ethnic origin, political affiliation, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, disability, health or social status.