The National AIDS Control Council (NACC) is a state Corporation whose mission is to provide policy and strategic framework for mobilizing and coordinating resources for the prevention of HIV transmission and provision of care and support to the infected and affected people in Kenya.
In our efforts to fulfil this mandate, the NACC seeks to recruit a suitable candidate for the following position:
Job Title: Head, Management Information Systems (MIS)
Reports to: Deputy Director, Finance & Administration
Grade: NACC 3
Department: Finance & Administration
Business Purpose / Objective: Responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing strategic plans and design specifications aimed at the computerisation and networking of all functions, activities and processes in order to enhance organisational effectiveness.
- Formulate and implement MIS Strategy
- Implement authorized technology solutions
- Review maintain and upgrade IT solutions and equipment
- Set-up and enforce standards and control for IT and IS
- Manage a live website infrastructure
- Divisional performance management
- Responsible for IT security
- Facilitate an automated seamless ICT environment
- Manage functional databases
- Implement MIS backup and recovery plan
- Document implementation and training protocols and procedures for each IT application
- Ensure 98% uptime on applications
- Provide professional technical guidance to drive the implementation of Management Information Systems policies and plans in all functions, activities and business processes.
- Analyse user requirements, procedures and problems in order to prepare plans and specifications to computerise and network research operations as well as improving the capability of existing computer systems.
- Evaluate user requests for new, modified or updated software application programmes to determine feasibility and compatibility with current system.
- Review, test and evaluate both hardware systems and software programmes to determine their efficiency reliability and compatibility and recommending data communication systems.
- Coordinate the implementation of computer security measures and guidelines to safeguard information and databases against accidental or unauthorised access, modification, destruction and virus attacks.
- Coordinate the security for new software, considering issues such as employee data access needs and risk of data loss or disclosure.
- Test and evaluate the integrity of existing and new computer security measures as well as reviewing violations of computer security procedures.
- Investigate and resolve computer hardware and software problems reported by users to determine whether problem is caused by hardware such as modem, printer, cables, telephone line or software problem such as virus attacks.
- Coordinate and strictly enforce the implementation of anti-virus and file backup procedures to protect against loss of valuable data and information caused by hardware problems, virus attacks or destruction of computer files.
- Monitor, diagnose and troubleshoot the computer network backbone which includes network switching systems and servers, organisational data and information, telephone communication systems and intelligent terminal equipment.
- Prepare funding proposals and budgets for technology improvements. Also confers with vendors, outside organizations, and enterprise level staff to integrate complex and heterogeneous technology environments to support the achievement of organisational goals.
- Analyse and implement appropriate solutions to operational problems. In addition, identify existing and emerging technologies and evaluate its utilisation and applicability.
- Develop and implement strategies for creating a high performing organisational culture based on transparency, integrity, accountability, performance measurement and results to ensure the programme activities are undertaken on sound management principles and practices.
- Provide technical leadership to multidisciplinary teams to enable them develop, implement and evaluate strategic management plans and budgets aimed at improving performance standards and organisational effectiveness.
- Initiate and participate in organisational performance reviews, and business process improvement programmes, as well as undertake special investigations aimed at improving organisational effectiveness.
- Participate in the implementation of advocacy and public relations strategy aimed at generating goodwill and advancing the mission of NACC.
- Participate in the recruitment and selection of staff in order to ensure that the candidates selected have the required job competencies and are provided with orientation and induction programme necessary for effective job performance.
- Review incidents of violations against organisational policy and regulations as well as handle employee disputes and take appropriate action in line with approved policies, procedures and regulations.
- Conduct training needs assessment, design and implement training programmes aimed at equipping staff with appropriate job competencies in order to improve the design and delivery of high quality services.
- Plan, monitor and evaluate the performance of staff against set targets and objectives and implementing development action plans aimed at building the capacity of individuals and multi-disciplinary teams
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent qualifications
- Relevant certifications
- Membership to relevant professional body
- Minimum seven (7) years experience in development and installation customisation of computer hardware systems
- Effective leadership, communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop, implement and deliver effective training programmes.
- Ability to identify user needs, information data sources and types including application requirements
- Knowledge of Relational Database Management System and GIS software
- Ability to create and link databases to websites and to protect the integrity of data and information
- Knowledge of computer programming, database and decision support systems
- Knowledge of data and computer security systems
- Knowledge of ethical, social and legal issues related to information systems
- Considerable experience with setting up information systems and networked applications and office automation systems
- Ability to resolve basic hardware/software installation and make minor adjustments to equipment and retrieve information from data bases.
- Demonstrated ability to keep abreast of MIS developments using through continuous professional development
The above position is on three (3) year renewable contact basis subject to satisfactory performance through a formal appraisal.
The individuals recruited shall be of high integrity and able to work within a team.
If you fulfil the above requirements, you are invited to submit an application letter together with an up to date CV, copies of certificates, testimonials, names and contacts of three professional referees in a sealed envelope by 5:00 p.m on Friday, November 25, 2016 to the address provided below.
NACC is an equal opportunity employer and does NOT discriminate any applicant on the basis of their HIV status, ethnic background, sex, religion, disability, or marital status yet is attentive to gender, regional and ethnic balance.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
In addition to the indicated requirements all candidates will be required to meet the expectations of Chapter 6 on Leadership and Integrity.
This will include but is not limited to getting the following clearances:
- Certificate of Good Conduct
- Clearance from the Ethics and Anti – Corruption Commission on Integrity for Public Servants
- Certificate of Compliance from the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA) Tax Compliance Clearance
- Certificate of Clearance from the Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
National AIDS Control Council
Landmark Plaza 9th Floor
P.O. Box 61307, 00200