Save the Children International is looking to recruit for the following positions:
Role Title: Senior Child Rights Governance and Child Poverty Manager
Team / Programme: Regional and Multi Country Programme Unit (RMCPU)
Location: SCI Regional Office – Nairobi – Pretoria can be considered under exceptional circumstances.
Post Type: Contract
Child Safeguarding: Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
About us: For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children’s lives in more than 120 countries.
We are the world’s largest independent child rights organization, underpinned by a vision in a world in which every child attains the right to survival, protection, development and participation.
Our mission to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Save the Children is an organization for talented people with different backgrounds and perspectives. We are proud that our people are representative of the children we work with and we thrive on our diversity.
We are an equal opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity.
Our culture is embedded in these values, along with a strong commitment to our Child Safeguarding Protocol, ensuring that all representatives of Save the Children demonstrate the highest standards of behaviour towards children both in their private and professional lives.
Senior Child Rights Governance & Child Poverty Manager
Role Purpose: The regional and Multi-Country Program Unit engages with regional processes to accelerate transformative change for children in all contexts in East and Southern Africa by modelling effective program approaches, generating evidence, and influencing sustainable policy change
As a strategic senior position with the RMCPU, the Senior CRG/CPoV Manager will develop and lead the thematic portfolio for East and Southern Africa.
He/she will be responsible for the growth, quality assurance, management of program staff and engagement with strategic partners at both the sub-regional and Pan African level.
The Senior Program Manager is also a member of the RMCPU Senior Management Team and is expected to contribute to the overall strategic growth of the unit and wider operational management as may be required.
Scope of Role:
Reports to: Director, Regional and Multi Country Programme Unit
Staff directly reporting to this post: CRG and Partnerships Coordinator, Investment in Children Program Officer, CRG Program Officer (East Africa), Child Poverty Specialist.
Geographic Focus: East and Southern Africa
Key Areas of Accountability:
Thematic leadership and Quality Assurance
- Overall responsibility for management of CRG and CPoV program under the RMCPU ensuring effective, efficient and timely delivery in line with Save the Children’s policies and procedures and those of donors.
- Lead the strategic direction and growth for the CRG and CPoV regional portfolio including new business, innovation and strategies to achieve Save the Children’s overall ambition for children.
- Ensure the financial viability and proper financial management, working with the finance and awards teams to identify any financial risks early and to make appropriate decisions to address them.
- Be accountable for monitoring, achieving and reporting on global KPIs and program level indicators, promoting a culture of continuous learning to improve accountability to and impact.
- Manage and mentor a program team creating a culture of excellence, teamwork, motivation, satisfaction and high performance among them.
- Develop and nurture strategic partnerships across the region that can support and add value to our ambition for growth in programming, knowledge generation, and affecting policy change.
- Support and work with the partnership coordinator on effective engagement and management of all RMCPU partnerships and agreements.
Resource Mobilization and Business Development
- Pro-actively lead on identifying, exploring and pursuing funding opportunities for both CRG and CPov.
- External-facing representation, networking, visibility, creativity and engagement with existing and new donors, the private sector, and other likeminded organizations.
- Oversee program development processes, ensuring quality of proposals and maximizing cost recovery in budgets while complying with donor requirements.
- As far as possible, ensure that all proposals and new initiatives add value to our overall ambition in the region and maximizes our theory of change.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the broader team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and take responsibility for their own personal development
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, managers, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Commitment to Save the Children values
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in law, development studies, management, economics, social sciences or relevant fields.
- 7+ years of direct experience in the development field, with at least 5 years’ experience in a senior management / leadership role, preferably in East and Southern Africa.
- Experience of developing and leading the achievement of ambitious but viable strategies.
- Proven track record of managing multi-million dollar programs and operations ensuring effective, efficient and timely delivery that is compliant with internal and external requirements.
- Proven track record leading portfolio growth, pro-actively pursuing funding opportunities and guiding the development of successful, high quality proposals.
- Experience building relationships and strategic partnerships with diverse donors, civil society partners, private sector and regional actors including the African Union and sub-regional bodies.
Skills and Abilities
- Highly developed relationship building and interpersonal skills
- Highly developed verbal and communication skills including fluency in English
- Highly developed strategic thinking ability and strong analytical skills
- Ability to liaise with a diverse range of people, stakeholders and customers
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- High levels of attention to detail and quality
- Computer literacy (including advanced excel skills)
- Ability to travel in region and internationally
Personal Behaviours and Attributes
- Commitment to Save the Children’s mission and values
- Initiative, flexibility and ability to work independently as well as in a team
- High levels of self-motivation and initiative
- Ownership and accountability of own work
- High levels of confidentially and integrity
If you are interested in this position, please email a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document to EA.email@example.com with clear Subject heading for the position.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application closes 30th November 2016.
We work with children, communities and governments all over the world and we believe in the right person for the job regardless of where you come from and how you identify yourself.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to ensuring that only those who are suitable to work with children are considered for these posts.
All successful applicants will therefore be required to complete a Police Check and must sign onto our Child Safeguarding Policy and organizational Code of Conduct..
Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents