Duty Station: Nairobi
Background: The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, with 190 member National Societies.
In line with the new Federation Operational structure the Disaster Management Unit (DMU) in the Africa Region, will continue to coordinate disaster management activities at Country Offices/Multi Country Support Cluster level.
Reporting to the Disaster Management Coordinator, the Disaster Management delegate will be responsible for the monitoring of the Federation disaster response, in close liaison with country and regional offices and relevant units of the Secretariat, and to ensure that the Federation disaster response is timely and adequate throughout the region.
- Develop and maintain, with support of Federation East Africa and Southern Africa support cluster, a “24/7” disaster monitoring capability, covering both rapid- and slow-onset disasters
- Support National Societies in implementation of disaster response operations
- Provide technical support in the evaluation of disaster response operations
- Mobilize and coordinate external support requested by Operation Managers in the field, in coordination with Country Offices/Multi Country Support Cluster.
- Ensure close contact with CD/RO that response modalities and service delivery plans are coordinated with host National Societies and Technical Departments.
- Ensure close contact with Country Offices/Multi Country Support Cluster that National Societies mandate, roles and capacities are recognized and used effectively in Federation emergency response.
- Support effective use of Federation regional expertise and capacities in disaster response such as RDRTs.
- Advise Operation managers, Multi Country Support Cluster /country delegations on programmatic aspects of the transition from relief to recovery, rehabilitation and reconstruction.
- Organize in collaboration with Multi Country Support Cluster /country delegations trainings, aiming at fast and effective mobilization of Federation response system and mechanism.
- Maintain rosters of DR personnel, including RDRT and other disaster response intervention teams in the region.
- IMPACT/Basic Delegates Training Course.
- Relevant university degree
- 5 years of experience in disaster management, including a experience in the field.
- Experience of working for Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement.
- Experience in facilitating and training.
- Experience in supporting, coaching, capacity development in civil society organizations.
- Experience setting up, managing and coordinating disaster response, including leading multi-national response teams.
- Experience in project management
- Self-supporting in computers (excel, word, outlook)
- Information management skills
- Knowledge of volunteering with the Red Cross and Red Crescent
- Knowledge of standards and guidelines for humanitarian emergency response
- Demonstrated analytical and planning skills
- Interpersonal and communications skills
- Self-organizational and flexibility
- Training and coaching
- Solid and tested operational management skills
- Ability to problem solve, take initiative, and work in an ambiguous environment
- Fluently spoken and written English
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)
- National Society Relations