Nairobi, Kenya BecA – ILRI Hub
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit a dynamic director to lead a highly successful BecA-ILRI Hub, aimed at increasing the contributions of biotechnology to Africa’s agriculture development through research and capacity building.
The ideal candidate will be a citizen of an African country, has strong biotechnology credentials, worked in and for Africa, be a credible and influential leader and have extensive networks throughout the African continent.
ILRI works with partners worldwide to enhance the roles that livestock play in food security and poverty alleviation, principally in Africa and Asia.
ILRI is a not-for-profit institution with a staff of about 700 and in 2016, an operating budget of about USD83 million. ILRI is a CGIAR research centre working for a food-secure future.
The BecA-ILRI Hub is an initiative developed by ILRI and the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) of the African Union (AU) and supported financially by a group of key international donors.
Facilities available at the BecA-ILRI Hub are world class, including a range of molecular, plant transformation, and genomics laboratories and equipment (next generation sequencing, biosafety level 3 laboratories and plant transformation facilities).
The BecA-ILRI Hub’s activities mainly cover countries in eastern and central Africa (Burundi, Cameroon, Central Africa Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Kenya, Madagascar, Rwanda, Republic of Congo, São Tome and Principe, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda) and are extending to other sub-regions in Africa.
The position: The Director will ensure that the BecA-ILRI hub remains relevant and positioned to contribute to Africa’s agriculture development through advanced biotechnology research and capacity development.
- Ensure that the BecA-ILRI hub remains relevant and positioned to contribute to Africa’s agriculture development through advanced biotechnology research and capacity development
- Ensure delivery of high-quality scientific capacity development aligned with the Africa’s Science and Technology Consolidated Plan of Action (CPA) agenda of applying biosciences research and development to help achieve the goals of AU/CAADP, and those of ILRI and other CGIAR centres
- Lead the staff of the BecA-ILRI Hub effectively
- Lead resource mobilization activities including donor relations and proposal development, in collaboration with the Biosciences Directorate science leaders and other CGIAR Centers
- Build strong synergies between the BecA-ILRI Hub and other entities, including the CGIAR, that facilitate access to and conduct scientific research at the Hub’s platforms
- Partner with ILRI Biosciences and other CGIAR Centers in creating joint opportunities with African partners for the application of biosciences to improve Africa’s agri-food systems
- Serve as a member of ILRI’s Biosciences Leadership Team and on the Institute Management Committee
- PhD in biological sciences or related field
- Demonstrated leadership skills with a minimum of 10 years relevant work experience in research or application of biotechnology in Africa
- Experience in developing and integrating new technologies within and across biotechnology platforms
- Demonstrated experience in formal and informal networking and successful development of partnerships with a wide range of research and development institutions
- Demonstrated ability to build partnerships with development donors and to mobilize resources
- Proven skills in the development and management of capacity development programs to support the application of biosciences to agricultural development challenges
- Record of working in multicultural settings and outstanding management, mentoring and people skills
- An established record of research achievements, including a strong record of scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals
- Excellent oral and written communication capabilities and interpersonal skills. Fluency in English is required and working knowledge of French would be an advantage
Position within ILRI: The director will be a member of the Senior Leadership Team of the Biosciences Directorate and a member of the Institute Management Committee.
Duration: 3 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
How to apply:
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
To find out more about ILRI visit our websites at http://www.ilri.org
To find out more about working at ILRI visit our website at http://www.ilri.org/ilricrowd/
ILRI is an equal opportunity employer.