Job Overview / Summary (What and Why): The Regional HR Director will lead and facilitate the development of a highly effective, strategic HR function in the Horn and East Africa and Yemen (HEAZ/Y) that ensures the organization has the structure, culture and talent needed to deliver on program goals and effectively serve its beneficiaries.
- Direct and oversee the collaborative identification and development of annual and multi-year human resource strategies such as workforce planning, job performance improvement, HR capacity development, etc. to ensure the right talent at the right time and in the right place. Identify and facilitate development of standards, tools, and resources. Devise and implement metrics.
- Evaluate and facilitate HR functional capacity and service delivery for HEAZ/Y. Implement collaborative actions to facilitate the evaluation and development of HR services and infrastructure. Build knowledge, expertise, and capacity leveraging internal and external resources. Ensure effective HR service systems and delivery at multi-levels as confirmed by key stakeholders. Measure and evaluate.
- Oversee global delivery and implementation of IRC HR global systems, standards, and initiatives. Ensure effective adaptation at all levels and compliance with the spirit and intent of labor regulations and donor requirements. Secure feedback and suggested improvements. Measure and evaluate.
- Direct development and delivery of training and other capacity building efforts. Identify and access internal and external resources to provide timely and effective technical assistance.
- Serve as a strategic partner providing advice and counsel to maximize staffing resources and performance, ensure economy and efficiency of work processes, and contain institutional risk. As needed, s erve as primary liaison for all HR matters.
- Perform other duties as assigned and contribute to the success of the HR department and function at IRC.
Position Reports to: Chief Human Resources Officer based in New York City with a critical matrixed relationship to the Regional Director HEAZ/Y
Indirect Resources :
- Country HR Coordinators
- National HR Practitioners
- Designated HR Focal Points
- Regional Director, Deputy Directors, Country Directors
- HQ leadership across multiple departments
- Functional HR Teams (C&B, Talent Management, Talent Acquisition, and HRIS)
- Finance, General Counsel Global Supply Chain, and IT colleagues
- Master’s degree preferred, minimum 10 to 15 years of progressive HR professional experience with a minimum of 5 years as a regional manager or director or equivalent education and experience.
- Demonstrated success as an HR generalist supporting employee groups of 500+ employees in multiple locations within the region or global environment required. Experience within the NGO sector will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated success in supporting key senior management and building relationships.
- Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, organization development, employee relations, and training and development
- Strong collaborator with effective interpersonal and analytical skills who is able to work seamlessly across countries, cultures, and organizational units required
- Demonstrated ability to work, manage, and meet competing deadlines in a fast-paced, high volume environment and on deadline; aptitude for problem solving and decision making needed
- Superb written and verbal communication skills required.
- Capable of managing conflict and conflicting views.
- English fluency required (French proficiency a plus)
- Ability to regularly travel to countries within the region
- Strong knowledge of HRIS systems preferred
- SPHR, GPHR, CIPD or other HR professional certification are highly valued
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. Please contact Talent Acquisitions at IRC.Recruitment@rescue.org. As required by law, the IRC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with a known disability.