Purpose of the Role: While leading the Protection team and working with other partners, the Manager will ensure adequate participation, appropriate delivery, and sustained impact of all Protection and governance interventions which are under power and safety outcomes under the 2020 SAP IP.
- Overall responsibility for the management of the Protection Programme while providing technical and programmatic support to the communities, partners and GoK on refugee protection and forced migrants.
- Create and execute systems (work plans, spending plans etc) to ensure that set deadlines are met and targets achieved
- To supervise and mentor the protection and safe programming officers working in the protection program towards achievement of goals
- Working closely with the Protection Staff, undertake analysis of data/assessment findings to inform on design of Protection programming strategies and approaches that are sustainable.
- Participate in the development of new proposals, budgets and concept notes in coordination with the Deputy Director Programs and Deputy Director Grants and Accountability.
- Provide all necessary technical expertise to the Protection team in all Protection related activities and where appropriate and to other IRC programmes.
- Conduct regular field visits, supervision and monitoring of all Protection related activities to ensure quality implementation
- Take direct lead in planning of all Protection activities in collaboration with the Field Managers and other technical program leads.
- Contribute towards development of IRC’s country strategic plan, in the protection sector
- Facilitate close collaboration between IRC and project implementing partners
- Ensure appropriate monitoring and evaluation of protection activities to guarantee effective implementation according to set standards
- Support other protection programs as needed
- Support the Deputy Director in Durable Solutions activities such as ReDSS Initiative (Regional Durable Solutions Secretariat) among others.
- With support from the Security Manager monitor the security situation and development in IRC operational areaswith implications for staff safety and for program implementation;
- Oversee implementation of the IRC Kenya Security Management Plan where applicable.
- Directly manage, supervise and mentor ProtectionProgram staffBuild the capacity of the protection program staff to improve their range of capabilities related to the protection program and its activities
- Support the Deputy Director – Programs to train IRC staff in Durable Solution strategies.
- Ensure that all performance evaluations for all staff are conducted on time, and review all evaluations to ensure quality and consistency;
- Support in Identifying training needs for program support staff members and make appropriate recommendations to the DDP, DDO, DDGA and the CD;
- Ensure that administrative matters that relate to the roleare carried out in accordance with IRC HR and administration policies;
- Support efforts that will ensure that all IRC staff comply with the IRC Code of Conduct/IRC WAY and other relevant policies pertaining to staff conduct.
- Report on the progress of all Protection activities highlighting any anticipated programme delays and proposing solutions in order to meet deadlines.
- Produce initial drafts of all Protection related donor reports and support the Grants unit in finalizing the same before submission to the donor.
- Contribute in compiling study and assessment reports including technical reviews of the same when called upon
- Contribute in the design of M&E tools and implementation of the same in all Protection related activities
- Liaise directly with communities, local institutions and local authorities on Protection related issues as well as other agencies to ensure coordination and effective implementation of activities.
- Establish strong relationships with implementing partners and other stakeholders to ensure smooth implementation of program activities
- Represent IRC in all Protection Coordination forums when called upon
- Working with the relevant persons, ensure that partners (sub grantees) are supported and are on track with program activities at all times (as per set work plans)
- Work closely with Technical Advisor Protection and Rule of Law and where applicable Technical Advisor Governance
- Represent IRC in external engagements with GoK (include national and county assemblies), UN-Agencies, IRC Partners, other NGOs and key stakeholders;
- Coordinate IRC program activities with relevant officials and other humanitarian agencies;
- Assist in the preparation of regular reports to keep partners and stakeholders informed of IRC’s activities;
- Bachelors’ degree in law, social science, community development, humanities or related degree. Masters degree preferred
- Minimum 5 years of Refugee Protection (experience with an NGO preferred).
- Experience in working on governance issues in Kenya is required.
- Proven practical experience in Protection programs design, implementation, and M&E Proven practical experience in developing and using community participatory approaches in design and implementation of Protection programs
- Experience working with community groups, community engagement and negotiation
- Experience of working on issues related to human trafficking and smuggling desirable.
- Experience of working with forced migrants desirable.
- Experience of working on government policies and ACTs of Parliament is desirable.
- Proven experience in governance such as working with GOK, county governments, devolution processes for increased demand and improved service delivery is desirable.
- Proven practical experience in partnership/stakeholder engagement and management
- Ability to work and adapt under pressure.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Computer literate (word processors, spreadsheet, database, CAD and statistical packages, etc)
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time. Please contact Talent Acquisitions at IRC.Recruitment@rescue.org. As required by law, the IRC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with a known disability.
(IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment
processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any
sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email:
IRCKenya@rescue.org or report to the nearest police.