Mercy Corps is a leading global relief and development agency saving and improving lives in the world’s toughest places.
In more than 40 countries, we partner with local people to put bold ideas into action, help them overcome adversity and build stronger communities.
We help communities survive and move beyond emergencies. When natural disasters strike, economies collapse or conflict flares, Mercy Corps is there.
Working with communities, we leverage local logic to help people transform their lives to grow more food, earn higher incomes and ultimately advocate for their needs. We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions.
Mercy Corps is looking for committed and dynamic individual to take up the following position.
Position: Senior Procurement and Logistics Officer
Program / Department Summary: Mercy Corps implements high-quality, analytical development work and peacebuilding programs in difficult places.
We have been operating in Kenya since 2008 and are presently implementing development programs across the Central, Rift Valley, North Western and Northern Eastern regions of Kenya.
The Operations Department is committed to implementing and maintaining the highest standards of efficiency and integrity in logistics and purchasing of goods and services for country office and field offices.
The overriding objective for all Mercy Corps procurement and logistics activities are the prompt and effective provision of procurement and logistical solutions as well as materials and services to Mercy Corps’ beneficiaries in compliance with Mercy Corps’ and donor policies, procedures, regulations and specifications.
General Position Summary: The Senior Procurement and Logistics Officer is responsible for overseeing general aspects of Mercy Corps procurement and logistics operations including procurement, warehousing, asset management and fleet management in the Mombasa Office.
S/he will be responsible for implementing all approved logistics and procurement policies and procedures in coordination with the Operations Manager and support departments.
Working closely with Program and Finance teams, the Senior Procurement and Logistics Officer is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her activities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Daily coordination of MC procurement activities in compliance with policies and procedures;
- Ensure full understanding and adherence to MC procurement policies and formats. Assist, as needed in orienting staff on these policies;
- Assist staff as needed with creating clear and understandable Purchase Requests (PRs) and other documentation;
- Coordinate the collection of quotations and bids from the market for PRs as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Ensure fair competition and strictly adhere to MC procurement rules regarding vendor relations;
- Maintain up to date Mercy Corps Procurement data management system;
- Prepare the required documentation of supplies and ensure that transactions are completed to MC standards;
- Update and maintain the procurement Master lists for both ongoing and completed purchases with specific attention to data integrity;
- Ensure all Mercy Corps employees are well versed in procurement procedures and ensure procurement thresholds and approval procedures are utilized appropriately;
- Ensure procurement files are well maintained in orderly and up to date systematically in hard and electronic forms. These include regular review of on-going and master PR lists;
- Coordinate with the Finance department to ensure that, payments to vendors and service providers are made on time and without any unnecessary strain on the Mercy Corps financial systems.
- General management of Mombasa office vehicle(s) in coordination with the Operations Manager;
- Ensure the Mombasa fleet and transport management complies with Mercy Corps Fleet Management Policy Guidelines;
- Collect and distribute vehicle log-sheets to drivers; responsible for monthly compilation and submission of log-sheets;
- Maintain vehicle board daily and schedule vehicle use to meet programmatic and operational needs;
- Oversee fuel consumption purchase and tracking including coordination with gas station(s);
- In coordination with the Operations Manager, organize regular service schedules for vehicle(s) and maintain service schedule files;
- Collect Vehicle Service Requests (VSRs) from driver(s) and submit the VSRs to the Operations Manager for approval;
- Ensure major repairs are done in a timely manner;
- Ensure security measures for vehicles such as parking, storage of keys, emergency supplies, etc.
- Ensure that security incident reports are completed and filed (if related to vehicles).
- Oversee the vehicle usage and rental calendar with rental agencies (if applicable) and follow up monthly payments;
- Read and comply with Mercy Corps Field Asset Management Manual for asset management procedures;
- Ensure maintenance of proper inventory of all equipment and fittings belonging to the program in Mombasa;
- In coordination with the Nairobi team, monitor and implement asset tracking system including use of asset tags, movement of assets, disposal of assets and update asset registry both manually and electronically including proper registration of newly purchased assets.
- Ensure proper management and coordination of staff travel arrangements including transport and security;
Ensure that the office is run in a professional and responsible manner including hosting guests, cleaning and general contact and liaison with outside agencies;
- Coordinate with the Administration Officer in Nairobi to provide administrative support for airtime allocation and offer guidance to MC staff when required;