Nairobi Women’s Hospital
Gender Violence Recovery Centre (GVRC)
Project Name: Gender Violence Recovery Centre GBV Documentary
Start date of project: 5th January 2017
End date of project: 21st January 2017
1.0 Background and Rationale: The GVRC is a non-profit, non-partisan; charitable trust of The Nairobi Women’s Hospital (NWH), a private hospital institution that specialises in obstetrics and gynaecology services and seeks to provide holistic care to women and their families.
GVRC’s purpose is to bring back meaning to the lives of survivors of GBV and their families, through the provision of comprehensive free medical treatment and psychosocial support.
Gender-based violence survivors are persons who have endured any form of violence such as physical, sexual, psychological or emotional abuse. GVRC has become a centre of excellence on GBV issues and management in Kenya.
The GVRC-NWH headquarter is located in Adams Branch in Nairobi County. Other branches include Hurlingham branch (Nairobi County), Kitengela and Ongata Rongai branches (Kajiado County) and Nakuru branch (Nakuru County). GVRC currently has 17 staff.
2.0 Objectives of the project documentation
- Document lessons learnt and best practices within the project period in the 3 phases of GVRC program intervention of the foundation of GVRC, the 3 arms of GVRC and stakeholders and partners testimonials in response and primary prevention.
- Provide recommendations for future scale out of the four areas in case they are to be replicated
The consultant is expected to lead and coordinate the documentation of the project in close collaboration with GVRC staff led by the project manager and partners involved in the implementation of the project.
After more than 15 years of service delivery, a lot of lessons and best practices have been gathered. GVRC hopes to document the outcomes of her project for learning purposes within and beyond this project.
It is thus expected that the consultant is to develop a case study template based on input from GVRC and review all the cases gathered already as well as gather further inputs in order to ensure reflection and learning across the project cases.
This in depth documentation should involve the relevant partners, survivors and stakeholders in the project and should focus on presenting the relevant best practices in an innovative manner for sharing beyond the project scope, such as video documentation etc.
While documenting the case study the consultant will capture active photos that speak to the key areas identified above and also utilize any previously taken photos in the life time of the project. In addition the consultant will capture the events and processes in the video.
In describing the case studies and the 3 phases of GVRC the consultant should among other things
a) Briefly describe the situation and the objectives that were to be fulfilled in addressing the issue being examined
b) Describe the changes realized. This represents social, economic, and institutional impacts as a result of the intervention. What are the direct and indirect consequences of the changes realized in the society?
c) Describe the reaction of the (stakeholders) – government, institutions, groups of people and individuals to undesired impacts if any order to prevent, mitigate, ameliorate or adapt to changes in future.
d) Briefly and clearly describe each lesson learned, and ideas as to how this experience could have been improved. Describe the insight gained from this experience that could be useful to others addressing similar issues, or who may be interested in replicating or adapting their approach based on the experience.
f) Describe what conditions need to be in place for this issue or aspects of it to be replicated.
3.1 Methodology Breakdown
These Terms of Reference document serves to outline the terms and conditions between the Consultant and GVRC (the parties) to produce and develop a corporate multimedia (image and video) documentary.
The documentary brief has been assessed in detail to reflect the wishes of GVRC who are the eventual clients and consumers of the same.
The documentary project is supposed to be a corporate documentary for the GVRC with the running theme “We Bring Back Meaning to the Lives of Survivors and their Families”
If in agreement with the points below, the document should be signed by both parties to allow for commencement of work for the same.
The documentary project will be broken up into 3 phases:
a. Foundation years of GVRC (2000 – 2016)
b. Focus on GVRC three arms (2007 – 2016)
c. Stakeholders and Partnerships
The project documentation will also briefly highlight testimonies from stakeholders and partners on GVRC milestones.
The project documentation of case studies shall be conducted and concluded within a period of 2 weeks. The final documentary should be submitted to GVRC by 21st of January 2017.
- A well written report with clear themes on the case studies answering all the highlighted areas above in a simple, comprehensive easy to understand format rich in carefully selected verbatim quotation
- Case study templates filled out for the case studies documented
- A well-made digital picture album composed of active “speaking” photos clearly described with self-explanatory photos indicating activity and place where it was taken. The pictures should cover the entire narrative of the case study.
- A videography of the important elements of each of the best practices for the four areas identified in this TOR including raw footage clips.
6.0 Selection criteria for researchers / consultants
The consultancy should have an integrated team of experts in child rights, gender, sociology, Social work, and community development.
The consultancy team should also comprise of experts with demonstrated, high level experience in conducting documentation and have strength in qualitative methodologies especially case studies and action research.
They must demonstrate strength in programs on GBV response and prevention.
The Consultants must have the following competencies:
- The lead consultant should have experience in documenting Gender Based Violence and Child protection projects. Experience in qualitative research, documentation and videography is an added advantage.
- Team members should have an experience in developing documentaries on Gender Based Violence and Child protection with an extensive knowledge and understanding of GBV context in Kenya
- At least one of the lead consultants should be equipped with skills to undertake photography and videography
- Demonstrate evidence of undertaking similar work in Kenya for GBV projects within the past 3 years (provide sample copies of completed documentaries)
- High level of professionalism and an ability to work independently and in high-pressure situations under tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- The consultant must have working experience in Kenya and be familiar with the cultural background of urban communities
- Demonstrated experience with community development approaches; gender and child rights, participatory methodologies, inclusion and participation of beneficiaries.
- Evidenced report writing (English language) and documentation skills
- Demonstrates meeting all legal requirements for developing documentaries.
- Must exhibit thoroughness in case study methodology
7.0 Bidders are asked to provide:
1) A detailed technical proposal clearly outlining the proposed methods for the proposed documentation and action research
2) Curriculum Vitae(s) of proposed staff outlining relevant education, IT, gender study expertise, child protection and experience. Clear reference to gender equality experience and child protection should be made where applicable.
3) A table clearly stating the level of effort of each proposed team member
4) A financial proposal with a detailed breakdown f costs for planning and carrying out the documentation
5) A proposed timeframe detailing activities and a schedule/work plan (including a Gantt chart), in line with the timeframe provided in this TOR and with consideration for the time it will take for GVRC to review documents (inception and final Documentary products.) before finalization.
6) Names and contact information of three references who can be contacted regarding relevant experience
7) A Consulting Firm Profile (including all details of the firm)
The detailed technical proposal should:
- Show a thorough understanding of these terms of reference
- Include a description of how the documentation will be undertaken
- Demonstrate previous experience in documentation including photography and videography
- Demonstrate approaches that will be used to ensure child protection and ethics and principles will be applied throughout the design and data collection phases of the project
- Demonstrate previous experience in conducting qualitative documentation
- Include copies of two recent video productions and a booklet of documented case study in a relevant area
The financial proposal should contain:
- Itemized consultancy fees/costs
- Itemized field data collection expenses, including lines for enumerator compensation and transportation
- Itemized administrative expenses
- Validity period of quotations
- Should comply with 30% payment upon production of draft videography and photo album and 70% after final approved copies are availed
NB: The financial quotation should be all inclusive and should not contain hidden costs to be surcharged to GVRC
The consulting team profile should contain:
- The full names of all participating consultants and their roles, including technical expertise
- Physical address of the firm
- Telephone number(s) of the firm (if applicable) and participating consultants
- Full name and contact information of the contact person within the consulting team
- Date of registration and Registration Number
- Copy of registration or other certificate, VAT and PIN
- Full names of Directors/Proprietor
10.0 GVRC institutional policies
GVRC is compliant with legal requirements to institute and implement gender, child protection and sexual harassment policies.
The GVRC policies are aligned to the international laws and legislations as well as National laws.
As a humanitarian organization, GVRC has the above policies which provides guidance on how individuals should conduct themselves while working with and otherwise relating to survivors of GBV both adults and children, either directly or indirectly, in the course of project implementation.
All individuals and organizations, who work in partnership with GVRC shall at all levels, subscribe to and uphold the principles and practices outlined in the gender, Child protection and sexual harassment policies.
It is expected the consulting firm for the documentary should have an internal policy that covers and is in compliance with: guideline for journalist and media professionals.
Rights to Intellectual Property
- All intellectual property accessed or acquired during this agreement, including all availed documents/papers, books, photographs, videos, computer software or other literary materials shall be considered works made for hire and all rights to such intellectual property shall be held by GVRC.
- The consultant shall not use GVRC’s intellectual property except directly in the performance of this agreement.
All completed technical and financial reports should be submitted via email and addressed to:
The Tender Committee
Gender Violence Recovery Centre
Kirichwa road; off Ngong road
Nairobi Women’s hospital, 3rd floor
P.O. Box 10552 (00100), Nairobi, Kenya
Online applications should be sent to: email@example.com
Closing date for submission of proposals: 29th December 2016 at 2:00 pm.