Job ID: 2016-1059
# of Openings: 1
Job Locations: KE-Nairobi
Posted Date: 12/1/2016
YieldWise Initiative: The Rockefeller Foundation has a unique opportunity to play a central role in fixing food loss – an eminently fixable problem.
The goal of YieldWise Initiative is to halve the amount of good food going into waste in four representative value chains (e.g. mango in Kenya, tomato and cassava in Nigeria, and maize in Tanzania), contributing to improving millions of rural lives.
To ensure that the YieldWise approach is being properly monitored, evaluated, and that critical lessons inform adjustments to the current model and future waves of work, we have partnered with specialized M&E partners.
Position Summary: With the aim of improving the YieldWise Initiative’s overall impact, the Rockefeller Foundation is searching for an entrepreneurial, talented, and ambitious results-driven individual to support the monitoring, evaluation, knowledge management, and strategic planning functions of the Initiative.
The Program Associate will divide his/her time as shown below:
Data Analysis: Assist the YieldWise Director in ensuring the strategic direction of the Initiative through the use of data and analytical thinking to monitor progress towards targets, make any adjustments to implementation as needed, and strategically plan for future waves of work.
- Provide analytical support to enable day-to-day, data, and evidence-based discussions, decision-making and adaptive management
- Process and analyze data collected from multiple sources to test key assumptions, synthesize key insights, and identify implications for initiative strategy and operations
- Facilitate information flow through proper monitoring of business processes, preparing high-level summary reports, and ensuring progress towards delivery of agreed results
- Work closely with the M&E team to modify YieldWise M&E agenda in response to lessons learned
- Use information from environmental scanning, and other sources, to identify trends and opportunities for the Initiative
- Assist in establishing and/or refining effective mechanisms for strategic planning, target-setting, monitoring, risk management and timely reporting, including the use of an operational dashboard and other means
- Assist Initiative team with target setting and yearly planning, including resource management, tracking both budget and grant-making, and timely responses to internal reporting requirements, queries, and deadlines
- Conduct risk assessment and mitigation planning in collaboration with Initiative team
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative analyses to inform decision-making within the Initiative, including landscape and market analysis, option analysis, and systems mapping
- Provide general strategic and planning support to the Initiative.
- Develop, implement and optimize the initiative’s knowledge management infrastructure
- Engage with Rockefeller Foundation’s M&E and Communications teams to generate knowledge practices, products and reports for a range of audiences (e.g. Senior Leadership, the Foundation’s Board of Trustees, grantees, peers, learning forums and the Foundation Website)
- Synthesize insights, best practices, and lessons learnt gleaned from the data for both internal and external purposes.
- Ensure strategic support in structuring sessions of YieldWise Partners convenings, including key areas to be discussed and addressed, and bi-lateral and multi-lateral meetings to be held with description of areas to be discussed and followed-up.
In addition to the below competencies, successful candidates will be action-oriented, entrepreneurial self-starters, with the ability to work independently as well as in teams.
- Leadership: Proven ability to manage towards and successfully realize outcomes-based projects.
- Partnership and Relationship Building: Ability to engage with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Strategic and Decision-Making Ability: Ability to identify trends in dynamic, complex systems across a wide range of content domains and to evaluate opportunities and risks using analytical and problem-solving skills. Comfort operating with a hypothesis-driven approach.
- Execution: Strong project management skills, deadline management, sense of responsibility and accountability and the ability to effectively multi-task.
- Communications: High level of comfort communicating to diverse audiences. Able to understand stakeholder needs and tailor information for them.
- At least 5 years of experience in data analysis, strategic planning and/or monitoring and evaluation
- A firm understanding of the agricultural sector in sub-Sahara Africa is a plus
- Entrepreneurial and strategic mindset to spot critical issues, leverage points, opportunities, challenges, and required choices
- Ability to synthesize and visualize data and information in a compelling way, customizing it for a range of audiences, including the YieldWise team, the Executive team, and Board
- Exceptional commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- An appetite for and sensitivity to working with and in diverse cultures
Organization Overview: For
more than 100 years, The Rockefeller Foundation’s mission has been to
promote the well-being of humanity throughout the world.
The Rockefeller Foundation pursues this mission through dual goals:
advancing inclusive economies that expand opportunities for more broadly
shared prosperity, and building resilience by helping people,
communities and institutions prepare for, withstand, and emerge stronger
from acute shocks and chronic stresses.
achieve these goals, The Rockefeller Foundation works at the
intersection of four focus areas – advance health, revalue ecosystems,
secure livelihoods, and transform cities – to address the root causes of
emerging challenges and create systemic change.
with partners and grantees, The Rockefeller Foundation strives to
catalyze and scale transformative innovations that create unlikely
partnerships that span sectors.
The Foundation currently
maintains offices in New York, a study and conference center in
Bellagio, Italy, and regional offices in Bangkok and Nairobi.
Rockefeller Foundation is committed to the principles of equal
employment opportunity and to compliance with all federal, state, and
local laws concerning employment discrimination, including the Americans
with Disabilities Act.
this end, the Foundation ensures equal opportunity to all employees and
applicants regardless of race, color, age, gender, sexual orientation,
religion, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship,
lawful alien status, physical, mental, and medical disability, veteran
status or liability for service in the United States Armed Forces.