Start date: January 2017
Location: Kinanie (Machakos)
We launched our first toilet in November 2011, and we now have a network of over 800 active Fresh Life Toilets run by over 400 Fresh Life Operators.
Job Purpose Statement: Black Soldier Flies (BSF) larvae efficiently assimilate nutrients in biodegradable wastes (including fecal sludge) into insect biomass rich in high quality protein and lipids.
We are looking for an R&D Assistant on 12-month contract, supporting the BSF R&D team in testing new equipment and carrying out experiments to address bottle necks and challenges faced in our insect production facility in Kinanie.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Working closely with the BSF production team, analyzing production data, identifying and prioritizing bottlenecks in production, and developing potential solutions
- Conduct literature reviews and compile relevant references for assigned research projects and related topics
- Develop research protocols for laboratory and field experiments for feedstock testing, optimization of egg production, hatching and larvae yield
- Collaborate closely with BSF production team, incorporating feedback into experimental design and provide clear instructions and training on field experiments
- Follow all safety policies and ensure that the required level of occupational health and safety is observed while conducting experiments
- Provide reports and regular progress update on experiments following the standard reporting template including data analysis, interpretation and recommendations
- Take samples and conduct routine laboratory analysis (i.e. moisture, pH, EC, microscopic images) for feedstock, insect samples and end products
- Record data, follow up on field data collection, laboratory results as well as external results.
- Carry out data entry and analysis, update relevant data sheets accordingly and share results with all relevant stakeholders
- Close collaboration within BSF team, across teams and with external stakeholders during site visits and research projects
- Attend all scheduled meetings and company functions as required
- Undertake other assigned duties and projects as required
- Minimum of Second Class Upper Division Bachelor’s Degree in Entomology, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences or equivalent from a recognized university
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office Applications.
- Basic laboratory skills.
- Knowledge on HACCP, six sigma and DOE will be considered an advantage
- Experience in lab work and conducting research projects; an added advantage
- Experience in insect rearing is an advantage.
- Demonstrated capacity for self-organization.
- Innovative, great interpersonal skills, team player and able to work with minimum supervision.
- Detail oriented and strong in analytical thinking.
- Willing to work in remote area.
Application Deadline: 15th December, 2016