Job Title: Roving Finance Manager
2 – either the role holder will have access to personal data about
children and/or young people as part of their work; or they will be
working in a ‘regulated’ position (accountant, barrister, solicitor,
legal executive); therefore, a police check will be required (at
‘standard’ level in the UK or equivalent in other countries).
Save the Children is an organization for talented people with different backgrounds and perspectives. We are proud that our people are representative of the children we work with and we thrive on our diversity.
Role Purpose: As a member of the regional finance team, the Roving Finance Manager will assume country office or regional finance roles for temporary periods to cover resourcing gaps and to deliver on discrete projects and initiatives so that adequate financial management is sustained and improved.
The role holder will also act as a champion for Save the Children International (SCI) financial policies, standards and procedures, coaching and mentoring staff and colleagues to ensure a thorough and complete understanding is maintained.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal job description and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Scope of Role:
Dimensions: Save the Children works in 12 countries in East and Southern Africa (Kenya, Somalia, Uganda, Rwanda, Sudan, South Sudan, Ethiopia, Malawi, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania and Mozambique) with projected 2016 expenditure in excess of $400 million.
Staff directly reporting to this post: Dependent on the nature of each assignment
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Perform quality reviews, reconciliation of balance sheet/control accounts and analysis of periodic financial returns as well as the relevant finance KPIs on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Provide technical support, trouble-shooting and refresher training to country offices finance staff to improve issues on the balance sheet, income and expenditures accounts in a timely manner.
- Support in year-end audit coordination and responding to audit issues.
- Ensure finance diary that covers all the required activities on a monthly financial control and compliance reviews are strictly adhered to.
- Support the regional office finance team on annual budgeting and periodic forecasting processes.
- Collate and consolidate monthly fund requests for the HFCC to approve and submit to the SCI Centre.
- Cover senior country finance colleagues based on a terms of reference agreed with Country Finance Director (CFD) on a cost recovery basis.
- Work with the Country Finance Director to identify areas for improvement in individual and team performance and devise with them an action plan to address these areas.
- Provide a comprehensive handover and an end of visit report detailing: outcomes against the ToR, issues encountered, areas for follow up with timeline for completion, capacity gaps and training needs identified.
- Ensure the effective and efficient use of all Save the Children resources, best value for money and safety and security of assets.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
- Displays consistent excellent judgement
- Accounting or commerce degree and relevant full professional qualifications (CPA/CA/ACCA)
- Minimum of 5 years’ similar progressive work experience in financial management. Not-for-profit experience an advantage.
- An unquestionably high level of integrity and ethics.
- demonstrable ability to adapt to challenging working environments within a developing country context.
- demonstrated experience in identifying issues in financial management, applying sustainable solutions, and supporting teams to achieve results
- proven experience in training and capacity building of staff and teams, including coaching and mentoring staff.
- knowledge and use of financial software packages. Agresso experience preferred.
- requirement to undertake travel for approximately 80% of the time (deployments of up to 3 months at a time)
- ability to adapt quickly to a new environment and achieve results with multiple priorities and deadlines
- strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets
- highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- demonstrated ability of working with a range of stakeholders.
- Ability to focus on strategic finance issues and advise key stakeholders.
- commitment to Save the Children values.
Please send a copy of your CV with a cover letter to EA.email@example.com
Application closes 3rd January 2017 at 5:00pm.
We work with children, communities and governments all over the world and we believe in the right person for the job regardless of where you come from and how you identify yourself. We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to ensuring that only those who are suitable to work with children are considered for these posts.
Disclaimer: Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents