The Health Support Organisation
Job Title: Finance / Admin Assistant – Juba, South Sudan
Location: Juba, South Sudan
Start Date: Immediate
Duration: One Year (Extendable and depends on performance)
Position: One (1)
Report to: Finance Manager
General Description of the Programme: The Health Support Organisation is a leading registered South Sudanese based international nonprofit organisation dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programmes.
Formed in 2005, incorporated in 2008 by South Sudanese doctors to support the national efforts in addressing health challenges in South Sudan, THESO is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organisation.
Its mission is to implement evidence-based, culturally sensitive, innovative projects promoting health, according to perceived public health needs and priorities as understood through quality research.
By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at high risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations, THESO rehabilitates devastated health care systems and helps bring them back to self-reliance.
THESO is seeking to recruit a Finance/Admin Assistant for its South Sudan programme to be based in Juba.
Job Summary: The Finance/Admin Assistant directly oversees all financial, accounting and administrative activities including human resources administration and all finance administrative activities and reporting.
Accounting and Finance Management
- Ensure compliance with the organisation and donor regulations and procedures; establishing finance and supporting function policies, systems and procedures, and directing or performing their development, documentation, and implementation
- Supervise and ensure that the day-to-day accounting operations and financial management functions in field offices are performed in accordance with internal policy and procedures
- Review and account for procurement transactions to ensure adequate supporting documentation, accuracy of amounts and control over payments
- Suggests formats for financial reporting to aid financial statement users to better understand the contents of the reports for decision-making and strategic planning purposes
- Ensures the maintenance of accurate records of financial transactions in order to monitor financial status of project activities
- Manages the finance department to meet the financial reporting requirements of field management and Headquarters; This function includes ensuring that all financial reports are submitted on or before the deadlines set and contain relevant information for all the users of the financial reports
- Directs the preparation of all financial reports for external purposes in respect to accounting, legal and contractual requirements
- Maintains the organisations system of accounts ensuring all accounting data are updated, reconciled and fully supported
- Oversee training of finance staff and provide technical support to country program and logistics
- Supervise or prepare budgets
- Present & facilitate review of actual to budget expenditures with Programme Departmental Heads and State Coordinators
Human Resources Management
- Supervise the human resource and administrative functions in field offices to ensure their smooth and effective operations
- Oversee the recruitment and selection of qualified program field staff, recommend promotions, disciplinary action and termination of staff in consultation with supervisors
- Collaborate with security officer/programme department to maintain security of staff in the field locations
- Make frequent site visits to facilities to ensure that appropriate care and training are being conducted and to offer support to field staff
- Maintain open lines of communications with all field staff
Training / Capacity Building
- Determine training needs for finance and human resources staff
- Train senior national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity and ensure sustainability of programmes
- Assist the Programme department in development of project proposals and reports writing
- Help Projects Coordinators in tracking projects implementations and measuring it against its indicators using performance based management
- Maintain frequent communication with finance officer to ensure finance activities and objectives are communicated
- Attend coordination meetings which are relevant to project activities
- Interface with national government and relevant agencies to ensure compliance with varying government regulations
- Serve as the principal liaison with donors on matters related to the programme to ensure financial and programmatic accountability to donors
- Establish and update contact details of potential donors in-country
- Participate in donor meetings and communicate relevant information to HQ
- Work with key donor Staff to develop and maintain optimum financial and programmatic relationship
- Ensure maximum visibility of the agency amongst the NGO community
- Lead the production of reports and ensure the timeliness and accuracy of information provided, as well ensuring confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organisation, notably through the application of the organisations Code of Conduct, ethics, values and stand-point with regard to internal and external actors
- Ensures financial considerations are planned for and implemented as required at each security level
- Ensures application and compliance of security protocols and policies
- Conduct back-up of key internal documents copies
- Facilitates emergency and non-emergency security expenditures
- Minimum of a college or university degree in Accounting or Business Administration; preferably a Master’s degree.
- Minimum 3-5 years managerial experience in a non-profit organisation or equivalent experience, training and education
- Extensive experience in the administrative and financial management of overseas programs at the management level
- Extensive experience in working with computerized accounting systems, preferably QuickBooks
- Comprehensive knowledge and working experience with EU, CHF, USAID, ECHO, DFID and UN Agencies
- Skills and knowledge in program sustainability and capacity building, public-private partnerships and project monitoring and evaluation (both quantitative and qualitative methods)
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Proven capabilities in leadership required
- Strong negotiation, interpersonal and organisation skills
How to Apply
Interested applicant should send her/his CV with covering letter and supporting documents addressing it to the
Human Resource Manager,
The Health Support Organisation;
Closing date: Dec 31st 2016
THESO is an equal opportunity employer and women candidates are encouraged to apply
NB: Only shortlisted applicants shall be contacted for interviews.