USADF in Partnership with CEZAM
Turkana Food Security Program
Request for Proposal (RFP)
Youth Empowerment in Management of Sustainable Entrepreneurial Projects
Background information: Unites States African Development Foundation (USADF) provides grants to African organizations and enterprises that increase economic opportunities among the underserved communities in Africa.
USADF launched the Turkana Food Security Program in March 2011 and has since funded twenty-four organizations involved in agriculture, fishing, livestock and micro-credit.
The grants provide people with the opportunity to engage in the development process and gain food security, economic, and social benefits.
USADF grants respond to applicants’ requests by actively engaging the local community group or enterprise in the design and implementation of the grant activities. This ensures that outcomes will best address the real community needs.
USADF measures grant success in terms of jobs, increased production and income levels and improved social conditions.
CEZAM and Associates Ltd., an accounting and business development consultancy firm, is the local partner for USADF in Kenya, responsible with providing direct technical assistance and support to grassroots groups who are recipients of USADF grants.
The partnership ensures that grantees have access to the support services they need to successfully plan and implement their development activities at the grassroots level.
Outcome of the assignment: By the end of training, CEZAM staff should be able to developed a shared understanding of the basic concepts of youth empowerment in management of sustainable entrepreneurial projects and link it with their routine tasks in their real work scenarios.
They should also be able to enhance youth participation in management of sustainable projects.
Role and responsibility of the consultant are outlined below:
Task 1: Training
Train CEZAM staff to understand youth empowerment in management of sustainable entrepreneurial projects with emphasis on how to:
- Empower the youth to identify viable and sustainable business opportunities/projects;
- Screening of the identified project opportunities;
- Business planning;
- Marketing plan;
- Forms of business;
- Costing your products and services;
- Develop a logical framework relevant to different projects to enhance monitoring;
- Setting up monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Designing indicators;
- Strategic project management;
- Project management tools and techniques;
- Group dynamics;
Task 2: Reporting – Within 1 week,
a) Provide a training report that outlines and documents all the activities involved in conducting the training of CEZAM staff and recommend any next steps.
Deliverables and Schedule
During the assignment, the consultant will deliver on the outputs described in the table above.
Apart from the training report that should be submitted in English in electronic format/MS Word, other documents will be shared in English in electronic format/PDF.
The suggested days for training (5 days) and drafting and submission of training report (3 days) takes a total of 8 days.
A specific timeline should be submitted by the consultant in the RFP.
The consultant should be a specialist in business administration and project management with a bias in strategic planning and/or micro-finance enterprise sector with the following qualifications:
- Minimum advanced degree in Development studies, Project Management, finance and strategic planning , administration and or business studies;
- Experience in leading or participating in designing and implementation of youth owned projects for donor-funded projects, preferably of enterprise interventions in the food security sector;
- Excellent teaching and coaching skills, experience in knowledge management and learning in business/non-governmental organizations or similar;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills;
Submitting expression of interest
USADF / CEZAM invites bids from individual consultants or firms with the experience and skills described above.
Bids should include:
- A technical offer that includes the basic methodology which will be used and related areas of focus (or topics) in the training as well as the proposed timeframe/time table;
- A financial offer that covers all consultancy related costs (excluding training logistic costs that will be covered by USADF/CEZAM) in PDF format;
- A CV detailing relevant skills and experience of no more than 3 pages, including contactable referees; and
- One sample of a relevant youth empowerment in management of sustainable entrepreneurial projects report.