African Academy of Sciences
Vacancy Announcement No: AAS/HROM/17/002
Position Title: Human Resources and Operations Manager
Reporting to: Executive Director
Position Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 3 Years Renewable
Closing date: 20 February, 2017
Organisation Overview: The AAS is a pan-African organisation headquartered in Kenya, which aims to drive sustainable development in Africa through science technology and innovation.
It has a tripartite mandate of pursuing excellence by recognising scholars and achievers; providing advisory and think-tank functions for shaping the continent’s strategies and policies; and implementing key science, technology and innovation programmes that impact on developmental challenges through the new agenda setting and funding platform, the Alliance for Accelerating Excellence in Science in Africa (AESA).
Position Overview: AAS is seeking to recruit a highly dynamic HROM who will be responsible for the AAS Human Resources, ICT, Legal, and AAS physical facilities.
The incumbent will – report to the Executive Director and l be part of the AAS Senior Management Team and work closely with the Finance and Grants Manager and Programme Managers to ensure an efficient delivery of the support services to the AAS.
Principal duties and responsibilities
The position will have general responsibility for Human Resources and Operational aspects of the AAS, including:
- Provide strong and supportive leadership and probity of AAS operations which are efficient, effective and ensure that there is proper management of all human and physical resources.
- Responsible for the design, development, operation and improvement of the operational systems that are required to deliver the organisation’s scientific mandate and programmes.
- Assist in developing, reviewing and directing the implementation of strategic plans by enhancing staff understanding, adherence and ownership of the existing operations systems, policies and procedures of the Academy.
- Ensure that the security, safety, health and environment policies are in place, adhered to and regularly reviewed.
- Managing the operational risks of the Academy as set out in the risk management strategy.
- Develop performance measures that support the Academy’s Operations;
- Liaise with appointed legal firm on legal issues.
- Oversee the management of AAS estate maintenance, including facilitating construction of any new facilities.
Responsibilities in specific areas
Governance & Legal
- Participate in annual external audits of the AAS.
- Oversee implementation of recommendations from external audit reports.
- Be the lead in negotiating, finalising, implementing and closure of all contracts.
- Implement operational best practices and due diligence during procurement of external services.
- Ensure compliance with AAS policies on corporate governance, including resource planning and control, contract agreements and intellectual property.
- Be responsible for assessment and management of the operations risk register.
- Participate and assist the ED during the Audit and Risk Committee meetings.
Human Resources Function
- Developing, monitoring and evaluating Key Performance Indicators and management of the Performance Appraisal system for staff and devising incentives/rewards appropriately.
- Be responsible for monitoring and recommending to the ED on the various aspects of staffing levels, staff requirements with regard to skills, competencies and attributes, expectations and motivation in order to fulfill organisational functions.
- Identify appropriate skills, training needs for staff as part of in-house capacity building.
- Oversee the review and implementation of HR policy manual and ensure compliance with local and international labour laws.
- Overseeing the recruitment process, management and disciplinary procedures of personnel, including legal and labour-related matters;
- Managing staff employment contracts and renewals and/or non-renewals.
- Conduct regular salary surveys and benefits administration.
- Carry out HR administration duties which include monthly leave reports and timesheet analysis reports.
- Ensure that all employees represent the Academy appropriately.
- Organise induction for all new staff and ensure signing of the staff code of conduct and exit.
- Ensure all human resource records and files are well maintained and updated as per the policies.
- Ensure compliance with the Information Security Management policy of the AAS.
- Efficiently manage the AAS ICT infrastructure and physical facilities;
- Ensure security of the office premises at all times in liaison with the security firms;
- Support the implementation of organization security policy and OSH Act;
- Ensure adequate supply and safe custody of all office equipment and stationery at all times;
- Ensure prudent management, and stewardship of all assets of the Academy;
Board and director relation liaison
- Be a member of the Senior Management Team of the AAS.
- Work closely with the Executive Director in planning the agenda and materials for the Annual General Meeting, Board, Audit & Risk Committee meetings.
- Initiate and work with the Executive Director in developing operational policy recommendations and in setting priorities for the Academy.
- Provide advice and support to the Executive Director in the leadership and management of the Academy.
- Provide input regarding the Academy’s strategy and operations.
- Ensure the Academy’s compliance to all legal requirements.
- Ensure the Academy’s compliance with good corporate governance.
- Participate in the Governing Council and Management Committee meetings. Articulate the mission and vision of the AAS and AESA to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Be responsible for the line management of the ICT Administrator, Front Office, Drivers, Security and Office Assistants.
- Be responsible for appraisal, training, mentoring and professional development of staff under their direct responsibility.
The positions is open to qualified candidates who can work in Kenya.
Applicants must email a completed application form from the AAS website http://aasciences.ac.ke/silo/files/aas-job-application-form2.doc, curriculum vitae, and a cover letter to email@example.com with the Position and Vacancy Number as the Subject by 20 February 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.