African Academy of Sciences
Vacancy Announcement No: AAS/PO/17/003
Position Title: Procurement Officer
Reporting to: Finance and Grants Manager
Position Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Duration: 3 Years Renewable
Closing date: 20 February, 2017
Organisation Overview: The AAS is a pan-African organisation headquartered in Kenya, which aims to drive sustainable development in Africa through science technology and innovation.
It has a tripartite mandate of pursuing excellence by recognising scholars and achievers; providing advisory and think-tank functions for shaping the continent’s strategies and policies; and implementing key science, technology and innovation programmes that impact on developmental challenges through the new agenda setting and funding platform, the Alliance for Accelerating Excellence in Science in Africa (AESA).
Position Overview: AAS is seeking to recruit a strong and dynamic individual with a strong background in procurement to assist the Finance and Grants Manager in overseeing purchasing and supply chain management for the Academy.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing, updating and overseeing the application of appropriate quality control in procurement.
- Review and ensure implementation of the procurement policies and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with regulations, policies and practices in the implementation of procurement activities.
- Prudently ensure that AAS gets value for money for all the good and services without any quality compromise.
- Ensure AAS conducts business with compliant suppliers of goods and services.
- Raise Local Purchase Orders (LPO’s) within the finance system as per set thresholds.
- Take lead in the preparation and initiation of annual procurement plans.
- Take lead in developing a pre-qualified suppliers list.
- Prepare payment requests for all purchases of goods and services, review and ensure all supporting documents including contracts are attached.
- Preparing and processing tender documentation and applications.
- Ensure implementation of tender and procurement committee decision.
- Manage the supplies store and inventory records by ensuring maintenance of optimal level stocks of supplies consistent with the AAS requirements;
- Reviewing the usage of supplies to identify cost reduction and service improvements.
- Participating in annual expenditure budgeting processes for all goods and services.
- Carry out supplier statement reconciliations with the general ledger for suppliers on credit terms.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
The position is open to qualified candidates who can work in Kenya.
Applicants must email a completed application form from the AAS website http://aasciences.ac.ke/silo/files/aas-job-application-form2.doc, curriculum vitae, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Position and Vacancy Number as the Subject by 20 February 2017.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.