Post-Doctoral Fellow – Aging and Development Program
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit, nongovernmental
organization committed to conducting high quality and policy relevant research on population, health, education and development issues facing sub-Saharan Africa.
APHRC seeks to recruit a Post-Doctoral Fellow to work under its Aging and Development Program.
- Lead on all aspects of an in-depth qualitative investigation on experiences and impacts of Kenya’s older persons cash transfer program in two informal urban settlements in Nairobi
- Lead and contribute to scientific writing and the development of donor or other reports on the qualitative investigation and other, relevant, research outcomes
- Lead and contribute to the design of related research activities, and the development of research proposals within the aging program.
Qualifications and experience
- PhD in Social Gerontology, or related fields. The fellowship should be taken up within two years of completion of doctoral degree;
- Strong writing skills and good record of publications on relevant subject areas
- Experience or strong interest in the areas of aging, social protection and intergenerational relationships
- Strong qualitative research skills (data collection, management, analysis (by hand and with software packages), interpretation, reporting)
- Computer literacy in Microsoft packages (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Experience of conducting empirical research with older persons
- Experience of conducting empirical research in sub-Saharan African settings
- Experience and high levels of familiarity with a diverse set of health and social science data sets
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work in a culturally diverse team;
- Experience in developing proposals and attracting research grants.