Vacancy: Post-Doctoral Research Fellow (Nutrition)
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an international non-profit, non-governmental
research organization committed to conducting high quality and policy relevant research on population, health,
education and development issues facing sub-Saharan Africa.
APHRC seeks to recruit a Post-doctoral Research Fellow with expertise in nutrition to work in the Health Challenges and Systems Program within APHRC’s Research Division.
- Lead and contribute to proposal development;
- Participate in the design of scientific research and training tasks within the Program;
- Lead and contribute to the implementation of projects including project design; project management
including field work management, data management and analysis, scientific writing, and reporting to donors;
- Lead in policy engagement and dissemination of research findings to appropriate audiences.
Qualifications and experience:
- PhD in Nutrition Studies, Public Health or closely related fields. The fellowship should be taken up within two years of completion of doctoral degree;
- Strong writing skills and good record of publications on relevant areas in sub-Saharan Africa;
- Experience and strong interest in the areas of nutrition and, Public Health;
- Proven experience in conducting household surveys;
- Strong qualitative and quantitative skills (managing, analyzing and interpreting data), with extensive familiarity with Statistical Packages (e.g. STATA, SAS or SPSS) and qualitative data analysis software (e.g. NVIVO); and;
- Computer literacy in Microsoft packages (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel).
- Expertise in non-communicable diseases (NCDs), nutritional epidemiology and nutrition transition will be an added advantage;
- Experience and familiarity with a diverse set of health and social science data sets;
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and ability to work in a culturally diverse team; and,
- Experience in developing proposals and attracting research grants.