The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is an African-led and Africa-based international research institute engaged in multidisciplinary, evidence-based policy research.
Our researchers address important issues and challenges facing Africa in areas such as education, health, population, aging, urbanization and wellbeing.
We engage with policy makers in the region to disseminate our research findings to influence policy decisions and improve the quality of life in Africa.
APHRC seeks to recruit up to five researchers to work in its Data and Measurement (2), Ageing and Development (1), Urbanization and Wellbeing (1), and Population Dynamics and Sexual and Reproductive Health & Rights (1-2) Units.
Responsibilities (dependent on level appointed):
- Provide leadership to scientific research unit, program or project in a defined area of work
- Lead or support a cohesive team and ensure projects in thematic areas are efficiently implemented
- Contribute to policy engagement and strategic planning as may be needed
- Lead and contribute to proposal development and fundraising for research projects in the unit
- Mentor junior researchers and facilitate in the Center’s training programs as needed
- Secure and manage the necessary human, financial and material resources in the unit, project or program
- Represent the Center at high – level national, regional and international forums, including relevant technical working groups and expert committees
- Contribute to institutional publications (i.e. lay dissemination materials such as- policy/research briefs and fact sheets)
- Oversee data quality and analyses
Qualifications and Experience
- PhD in social, health or behavioral sciences, including demography, biostatistics, epidemiology, public health, Urban Studies, etc
- Rank is open and successful candidates may be appointed at postdoctoral (0-3 years), Associate (3-5 years), Research Scientist (5-8 years) or Senior Research Scientist (10+ years) levels depending on experience and track record
- Experience working in a research institution, leading research programs or managing research projects
- Experience with conducting evaluations of interventions will be an added advantage
- Excellent scientific writing skills
- Good quantitative or qualitative skills; experience with mixed methods will be an advantage provided one is very strong in quantitative or qualitative methods
- Strong proposal writing skills and track record of winning research grants