Job Title: Senior Associate – Carbon and Partnership Data Management
Job level: 4
Reports to (title): Manager Design, Data processing and Analysis
Travel required: As need arise
Job Purpose: The Senior Associate – Carbon and Partnership Data Management (C-PDM) is a member of the Monitoring, Learning and information System (MLIS) and is responsible for quality data management and analysis of data collected for carbon crediting purpose as well as other partners that work with Evidence Action.
S/He will develop appropriate checks to ensure that pre-determined sample size has been collected and submitted to the relevant partner.
S/he will contribute to developing appropriate measurement, sampling, and survey strategy and the design of survey instruments to collect partner specific data.
Duties and responsibilities
Manage and Lead data processing and Analysis needs for C&P data.
- Manage data that is collected specifically for carbon crediting purposes and ensure that is safely stored.
- Work closely with the Programing and Data Management teams to ensure carbon and partner’s data collected in the course of other program activities is complete, cleaned and stored safely.
- Collaborate with information system team to make sure that all electronic data collection instruments are update and programmed in time and are aligned with data collection protocols.
- Conduct sample selection/randomization for all Carbon and Partnership activities and ensure documentation of the process involved in sample selection.
- Provided regular and timely feedback to the Data collection team regarding the quality of data collected for Carbon and Partnership
- Review collected data and raise any shortcoming in the data with a view of finding solution to existing problems.
- Produce map of project area or as required for Carbon and Partnership purposes
- Support the training of program and MLIS staff involved in data collection as needed.
- Produce bi-monthly summary statistics of carbon indicators to track progress against set target and highlight problematic areas
- Update all carbon related database quarterly to ensure it is updated with the most recent data from program teams.
Systems and Documentation
- Develop and maintain data templates which will be used to share Carbon and Partnership data sets with the relevant partner.
- Maintaining up to date dispenser database with all the key variables needed by all carbon partners
- Ensure that all carbon waivers are collected, scanned and centrally stored in an orderly manner.
- Develop, implement and maintain quality assurance and quality control systems for all Carbon and Partnership data processes
External & Relations with other teams
- Actively participate in the diagnosis of data needs for Carbon and Partnership, and work with Manager – Design, Data processing and Analysis to translate the data needs to other teams on MLIS
- Develop, update and generally maintain a database of partners, their data needs, and any other relevant data information.
- Provide support and guidance to validations and verification activities undertaken for carbon partners
- Participate in weekly Carbon and Partnership meeting organized by carbon and partnership team.
- Participate in training provided to Carbon and Partnership data collectors; which may include providing inputs to the training manual of such.
- Keep track of reporting timelines to ensure that data is submitted to Carbon and Partnership within the given timelines.
- Senior Associate – C-PDM is expected to manage a small team of Data Officers and Data Management Associates, as and when is necessary. However, for the most part, this position will entail indirect management of peers and team members not directly on C-PDM team
Key performance Indicators
- Delivery of carbon data one month after the end of the monitoring period.
- Quarterly report of progress in carbon data collection and adherence of data to set protocol.
- Successful support completion of carbon auditing and validation activities
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in economics, statistics or another quantitative field
- A minimum of 2 years’ work experience in a highly analytical and quantitative role
- Strong familiarity with statistical software packages such as Stata, R, SPSS, SAS etc. with the ability to learn and adapt to new programs (experience with Stata is highly preferred)
- A good grasp of excel is a must
- A working knowledge of geospatial analysis in ArcGIS/QGIS and mobile phone survey programming experience in Open Data Kit preferred (at minimum, willingness to learn and independently acquire new technical skills)
- Knowledge of carbon crediting/markets will be an added advantage
- Work experience in entrepreneurial or start-up environments in Africa
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills to work effectively with a team that is geographically dispersed
- Self-directed/self-motivating personality, with proven ability to manage demands from multiple supervisors while adhering to program deadlines and priorities
- Strong critical and analytical thinking skills
- Intellectual flexibility and willingness to form and adjust opinions based on evidence
- Quick to learn, motivated to self-teach and capable of independently translating new knowledge into practice
- Willingness to travel
In addition, this position requires a candidate to:
- The ideal Senior Associate, C-PDM will be extremely intellectually curious, diligent, service-oriented, and able to conduct, document, and explain complex analysis.
- Have a strong commitment to evidence-based practice and policy in the development field
- Be enthusiastic to develop personally and professionally as part of a growing global team
- Possess a strong attention to detail and a genuine love of working with data.
Working conditions: [None]
Physical requirements: [None]
Direct reports: Associate -Carbon & Partnership Data Management.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online