Hivos East Africa seeks qualified candidates for the position of:
Vacancy Name: Regional Programme Officer
Number of hours: 40
Region: East Africa
Office: Nairobi, Kenya
About Hivos: Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources.
Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Job Context: Hivos is implementing a two-year Community Media Fund (CMF) with support from the Ford Foundation and the Bloomberg Media Initiative for Africa (BMIA).
The fund seeks to enhance citizen access to relevant information that enables them to understand business and finance principles and empowers them to support policies and practices that impact inclusive economic and human development in Africa.
The fund’s implementation phase will cover Kenya, Nigeria and South Africa. It is expected that the CMF will promote transparency, accountability and governance through media and/or the financial literacy of poor or marginalized communities.
Transparency and accountability are some of the core areas that Hivos seeks to promote through its programming. The CMF is the thus within Hivos overall mission and objectives.
As part of the technical capacity within the Transparency & Accountability and Freedom of Expression team and working closely with the rest of the programmes, the Regional Programme Officer’s key role include grantee identification and assessment, grant administration as well as coordinating grantee learning events.
Conducting audit checks on partners’ financial and narrative reports and ensuring compliance with Hivos grant policies also form an integral part of the role.
Project planning, coordination and implementation:
- Support the practical planning and organisation of CMF meetings ensuring accurate and detailed record keeping of key project milestones.
- Take lead on the administrative aspects necessary for the development of costed work-plans complying with donor requirements.
- Support the tracking of progress against CMF defined milestones and work-plans developed through accurate record keeping, documentation and dissemination of plans, updating quarterly progression of implementation plans, flagging areas of concern in good time and highlighting recommendations for necessary corrective action.
- Facilitate clear and consistent communications protocols within the project, maintaining open lines of communication.
- Facilitate the development of reports according to donor requirements and any additional requirements as stipulated by the CMF Steering Committee.
- Support all administrative processes relating to commissioned studies and consultancies.
- Internal tracking of consolidated annual budgets, effecting budget monitoring systems, systems compliance and adherence to donor requirements.
- Working with the Programme Manager, ensure effective liaison with the donors on administrative matters concerning CMF and according to the key contractual requirements.
- Ensure documentation and filing systems facilitate accountability and audit requirements across the project and support the organisation of auditing and evaluation requirements related to the project.
- Compilation of high quality reports to the full satisfaction of CMF Steering Committee requirements and other stakeholders as necessary.
- In collaboration with Finance Manager, ensure timely, accurate and consolidated submission of claims to the donor against the contracted breakdown of costs and completion of agreed work plans.
- Ensure processing of partner/sub-contracted payments against and according to Hivos contractual obligations.
- Manage a database of all project beneficiaries with the responsibility of ensuring accuracy and data integrity of enrolled beneficiaries, whilst supporting partners in data management of the same
Financial management, budget and expenditure monitoring:
- Undertake grant monitoring and management of expenditure and budgets of CMF project. These include: Preparation of monthly and quarterly financial and narrative reports,
- Analyse and make recommendations on the competence and adequacy of general financial feasibility of partner organizations, mode of operations including cost management efficiency.
- Provide support to the programme team on the analysis of partner budget proposals, and in the interpretation of financial returns from partners.
- Conduct financial and administrative reviews of prospective programme partners to determine adequacy of their accounting systems and internal controls, their financial status and their financial and institutional capability to implement activities.
- Support the partners to develop and maintain project financial reporting requirements and project audit in line with Hivos’ requirements.
- Monitor activity implementation and financial progress during the life of the project partnership to identify deficiencies, determine if earlier deficiencies have been corrected, and support partners to resolve any management systems difficulties revealed.
Governance and Partners’ support:
- Provide quality checks on all financial/narrative reports submitted by partners to ensure they comply with donor requirements.
- Providing advice to the programme team on the analysis of partner proposals, budgets and reports.
- Reviewing and commenting on financial information submitted by partners against compliance with grant agreement letter requirements, good practices and/ or in fulfilment of conditions precedent to disbursement of project funds.
- Conduct partner visits to examine their financial records for accuracy and propriety of expenditures.
- Identify administrative capacity gaps and design appropriate capacity building programmes to address such gaps.
- Assist in resolving partners audit recommendations by solving financial and related problems and following up to ensure that audit recommendations are implemented.
- Based upon periodic reviews of specific activities, recommend changes to correct deficiencies or improve implementation and track implementation of these recommendations to completion.