International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Position Title: Operations Assistant I
VN No.: IOMKE/VN/091/2016
Duty Station: Kakuma, Kenya
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G5
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term Contract, with possibility of extension.
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 19 January 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Context: Under the direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office Kakuma and overall supervision of the Head of Operations and in close coordination with the relevant units, including MHD, Admin / Finance and Human Resources, the incumbent will assist in implementing refugee resettlement operations and activities in IOM Kakuma.
In particular he/she will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and supervise all Kakuma operations activities such as resettlement mission support, medical support and movements of refugees.
- Coordinate and monitor the work of the operations staff.
- Be responsible for ensuring that standard operating procedures (SOPs) for all Kakuma operations activities are implemented and adhered to.
- Regularly review the operational SOPs and suggests changes and improvements.
- Train the new operations staff as well as on-call Operations Escort Staff.
- Serve as focal point for operational matters between IOM Kakuma, resettlement missions and others.
- Represent IOM in meetings and workshops related to resettlement activities in Kakuma.
- Serve as Kakuma focal point for all resettlement missions, including, but not limited to activities in Kakuma.
- Develop mechanisms to monitor and ensure that all refugee clients receive the highest quality services available from IOM Kakuma.
- Ensure regular and accurate updating of a database recording all documents received from UNHCR and forwarded to IOM Nairobi.
- Be responsible for ensuring quality control at all stages of Kakuma operations activities.
- Together with ITC Staff, MHD Data Clerk and other relevant units, develop and ensure the implementation of a database linking Kakuma operations and MHD departments.
- Prepare regular weekly/monthly reports on Kakuma operations activities.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or its equivalent or higher in areas related to Logistics, Management or Travel Operations, with at least 3 years of relevant working experience or High School Degree/Certificate with at least 5 years of relevant working experience in resettlement/movements related operations experience, including working with the actors involved in resettlement.
- Experience in resettlement and/movements, related operations experience, including working with the actors involved in resettlement: RSC, UNHCR and other humanitarian assistance organization preferred.
- Experience working in hardship areas an advantage.
- At least two years airlines or travel agency experience is an advantage.
- Previous working experience with NGOs or International Organization is an added advantage.
- Demonstrate accuracy in handling and reporting data.
- Required IOM functional competencies: effective communicator, successful negotiator, creative and analytical thinker, active learner, team player and cross cultural facilitator.
- Strong practical computer skills, including Excel spreadsheet and Access database and experience of work with online application.
Languages: Fluency in both written and spoken English and Kiswahili.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.