International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Senior Finance & Administration Assistant
Vacancy Notice: SVN/IOMSO/003/2017
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G6/01
Type of Appointment: Short term, six (6) months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: January 26th, 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners.
IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Context: The SSI program in Somalia is primarily a community-based, small grants initiative implemented in close coordination with the donor, with communities in priority areas, and with all levels of Government, particularly newly formed District Administrations and regional state institutions.
The overall objective of the program is to support the political transition of Somalia towards a functioning and stabilized Federal State through activities that promote good governance, consolidation of the federal structure, and a receptive environment to respond to emerging political contingencies.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission, the general supervision of the Programme Manager for the Somalia Stabilization Initiatives (SSI) Project and the direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer – SSI, the Senior Finance Administration Assistant is responsible for providing specialized financial assistance in the implementation and monitoring of the SSI project, delivering project financial reports, verification and review of accounts payable, project funds requests, payment releases, accounts reconciliation and coordination of all project finance in the field.
The Senior Finance-Admin Assistant will be expected to play an active and constructive role in supporting the Resource Management Officer – SSI and will be asked to act for him/her during absence.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The Senior Finance Assistant responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Oversee and guide the field Finance staff, including the Finance/Admin Assistant in Mogadishu and Kismayo, to ensure that they carry out their duties properly and advise them accordingly, including training meetings, materials and events.
- Act as a focal point for IOM SSI finance issues for the field teams, donor (USAID), other partners and IOM Nairobi Finance.
- Review and verify all payments processed through IOM Nairobi Finance
- Suggest improvements to strengthen existing internal controls in order to safeguard the project’s financial assets.
- Ensure compliance of project expenditure and procurement under IOM and USAID rules and regulations, carrying out audit functions as necessary within the project.
- Provide regular updates to the IOM SSI Senior Management Team on the financial status of all grants and general project operations, as required.
- Perform SSI project reconciliation, working with IOM COS and Finance to certify that there are in agreement with PRISM, and verify all expense claims in order to certify correctness and ensure that all appropriate supporting documents have been provided and correct WBS assigned.
- Prepare monthly projections, including monthly requests for onward transmission to MTS department in Manila.
- Provide orientation and training to new SSI Finance staff on SSI financial guidelines and operations.
- Liaise with suppliers on outstanding financial issues.
- Review, check and sign off all vouchers posted to PRISM FI in order to ensure all appropriate supporting documents have been attached and correctness/consistency of the postings.
- Assist in reviewing presented invoices for payment processing.
- Assist in reconciling and reviewing grants earmarked for closure.
- Assist in reviewing 3rd party staff payroll.
- Assist the IOM SSI Senior Management Team in budget preparation and project financial reviews.
- Prepare donor financial reports.
- Travel to field offices when required.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in Accounting and Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration.
- Qualified CPA (K) or ACCA or its equivalent in related fields of study.
- At least 6 years of prior work experience in a similar capacity.
- At least 3 years supervisory experience in common services or a related function preferably with an international organization is an added advantage.
- Prior experience in usage of SAP an added advantage;
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills with proven ability to work effectively and harmoniously with a team of colleagues;
- Mature individual, able to work independently, under pressure, able to maintain accuracy, paying attention to details, meeting deadlines and working with minimal supervision;
- Functional IOM competencies required: Effective communicator, Creative and Analytical Thinker, Active Learner, Team Player, Cross-cultural facilitator.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Office products (Excel, Outlook, Word etc.).
Language: Fluency in English and Somali is required.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.