A medium sized law firm in Nairobi is seeking a dynamic, well-qualified and highly motivated individual to fill the position of Criminal and Civil Litigation Advocate.
Role Purpose: The purpose of the role is to represent plaintiffs and defendants in civil cases and manage all phases of the litigation process from investigation, pleadings and discovery to pre-trial, trial, settlement and appeal.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conduct an initial case investigation to determine, in the plaintiff’s case, if enough evidence exists to file a lawsuit or, in the defendant’s case, what evidence exists to defend a potential suit.
- Draft pleadings and motions on behalf of the plaintiff or defendant.
- Collaborate with experts and clients to craft a trial theme, identify strengths and weaknesses in a case; develop persuasive arguments; prepare witnesses for testimony and draft and argue trial motions.
- Analyse the probable outcomes of cases, using knowledge of legal precedents.
- Engage in negotiations with opposing parties; participate in mediations and settlement conferences with the parties and the judge; and create settlement brochures, agreements, releases and other settlement materials.
- Draft post-trial motions; identify and preserve issues for appeal; develop appellate strategies; gather evidence for the appellate record; research procedural issues; draft appellate documents; and present oral arguments before appellate courts
- Select jurors, argue motions, meet with judges and question witnesses during the course of a trial.
- Degree in Law
- Diploma in Law from Kenya School of Law
- Must be an advocate of the High Court
- 3 years working experience as a civil and criminal litigator in a reputable firm
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us by close of business 13th January 2017.
Only qualified candidates shall be contacted.