Job Vacancy: Legal Officer
Overall Job Objective: The job holder is responsible for the effective and efficient management of the Legal department, provision of legal advisory services and ensuring effective management of legal and contractual risks.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Review and provide legal advice on tender documents.
- Review ongoing cases and advice management accordingly.
- Liaise with relevant departments to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
- Provide legal protection and risk management advice to management especially on contract management.
- Provide and interpret legal information, conduct training and disseminate appropriate legal requirements to staff.
- Review and advise management on legal implications of internal policies and procedures.
- Review and draft contracts, agreements and internal policies and ensure that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements.
- Review progress of outstanding litigation and liaise with and manage external lawyers.
- Formulate compliance check-lists to be used for the purpose of ensuring that all information required is provided accordingly.
- Continuously monitor compliance with statutory obligations and advise management accordingly.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports for the department for executive management meetings.
- Review all contracts or any other documentation where the Company has committed itself and assess legal implications that need to be brought to the executive management’s attention.
- Prepare, review and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities.
- Negotiate, review and draft documentation for business transactions and prepare and advise on the necessary checklist to be adopted to ensure information is submitted on time.
Academic & Professional Qualifications
- LLB undergraduate degree;
- A Master’s degree will be an added advantage;
- Must be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
- CPS qualification is a MUST.
- At least five years legal experience ideally in a leading organization, with a proven track record in contract negotiation and drafting;
- Proven track record of providing accurate and effective legal counsel; and
- Proven track record of adding value to an organization through the development of comprehensive contract documents that mitigate risk and penalties.
- In-depth knowledge of regulatory law; and
- Knowledge of the legal aspects of Retail Market.
Job Skills & Personal Attributes
- Clear understanding of board proceedings and can take board minutes.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills;
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills necessary for interaction with the Government of Kenya, the Judicial system and negotiating parties;
- Demonstrate knowledge of, and experience with, laws dealing with government and/or commercial contract administration, particularly contract negotiation, preparation and administration;
- Ability to provide independent advice (orally and in writing) to senior level management on highly technical matters;
- Demonstrate success in managing and conducting a variety of litigation matters;
- Good planning and organization skills; and
- Proven ability to delicately solve sensitive matters
If you meet the minimum qualifications, send your application to email@example.com