Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
mHealth Kenya is a limited liability company that brings together a team of experts with a diversity of knowledge and experience, and a deep understanding of ICT for Health.
mHealth Kenya’s purpose is to bridge communication gaps among remote healthcare facilities, community workers, and central government headquarters to improve care and treatment.
mHealth Kenya endeavors to explore numerous applications of mobile health (mHealth) technology, such as increasing direct patient care, rapid lab results communication, worker training, and drug supply-level management.
Over the last several years, mHealth Kenya has risen to be at the forefront of facilitating improved public health through use of mobile technologies.
mHealth Kenya in collaboration with the Kenyan Ministry of Health and CDC Kenya have identified a number of priority areas to help bridge the gap within the Kenyan Ministry of Health systems.
The “Phones for Health” program, which focuses on the utilization of mobile solutions within the public health sector to improve access and enhance efficiencies within selected HIV/AIDS health care services has been implemented from 2009 to 2015.
Since 2015, mHealth Kenya has been rolling out the projects in various counties with the support of the Ministry of Health and CDC.
There is an urgent need to conduct evaluations for the projects to assess how these mHealth solutions have impacted the respective program areas in an effort to inform future program decision making related to resource allocation and strategic planning.
There is also a need to develop protocols for new projects as well as abstracts, manuscripts and scientific articles to be published in international journals.
This has therefore presented an opportunity for an experienced person for the following roles:
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
This position will involve leading the design and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation strategies for all the projects under the program.
The position will require expertise in developing M&E plans, development of evaluation protocols, conducting routine monitoring of project activities, implementing evaluation protocols, coordinating the development of evaluation reports.
The position will work closely with the programs and technology teams to develop monthly reports with detailed data collection from the various projects.
The position will be responsible for all publications by mHealth Kenya including abstracts, manuscripts and articles for scientific conferences.
The position will also acts as a liaison officer between community partnerships, public and private agencies, and mHealth Kenya
Reporting and working relationships
The M&E Officer will report to the Programs Officer.
The M&E Officer will be part of the programs team and will work closely with the Statistician, Project Manager and Project Officer to ensure the responsibilities assigned are effectively met.
The M&E officer will also liaise with the technology team to provide input in the development of systems, development of data collection tools and development of KPI dashboards for the projects.
- Lead technical guidance and design and implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems for all mHealth Kenya projects under the PEPFAR program.
- Develop performance monitoring plan covering activities to compile, analyze and present data for reporting of project progress and impact. Establish baseline for performance indicators in the M&E plan using existing data sources and conduct special studies as needed.
- Lead the development of the M&E Plan by developing and managing an M&E system to serve as a repository of all project related M&E data.
- Support operationalization of the M&E Plan in the implementation areas on M&E activities by liaising with the programs team to develop training materials, training relevant Ministry of Health staff and developing a data management system to serve as a repository of all M&E data.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for all M&E activities for mHealth Kenya.
- Maintain and update the M&E system, on an ongoing basis. Generate needed reports to meet donor and other stakeholder requirements.
- Lead implementation of surveys, establish supportive supervision processes, oversee data collection, cleaning and entry procedures as per standard M&E practice at mHealth Kenya and consolidate lessons learned and make suitable recommendations for future program implementation.
- Oversee data collection and monitoring activities at the target regions of the project.
- Ensure program reports are submitted and disseminated in a timely manner, in line with established protocols.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders such as implementing partners, academic institutions, and donors in the area of monitoring and evaluation.
- Provide overall technical guidance and coordination with CDC Project Officer on the implementation of the project monitoring and evaluation system.
- Ensure development and dissemination materials for sharing project related lessons learned and results, in a timely manner and in line with established protocols.
- Manage the design and deployment of potential evaluation activities in coordination with the CDC Project Officer and multi-disciplinary teams.
- Lead design of flexible systems to collect, store and analyze health data from multiple sources.
- Participate in the yearly development of a project work plan, including budgeting.
Required education and experience
- A Master’s degree or PHD in public health, demography, epidemiology, statistics, social sciences, or related field is required.
- Training in advanced graduate level statistics, and training and relevant practical experience in quantitative and qualitative research methods.
- A minimum of seven years of relevant experience is required, with at least five years of experience in: program design, monitoring, and evaluation of complex health and development programs, participatory assessment and monitoring, and data processing and analysis.
- Experience in developing Monitoring and Evaluation plans including performance measures/targets, evaluation questions, methodology for data collection and analysis is required
- A strong research methods background and study design is required since the position requires developing evaluation protocols and monitoring plans.
- Ability to supervise evaluation research, indepth knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods and experience developing study designs is required
- Experience with oversight of data collection and management for evaluations required.
- Experience with CDC reporting requirements is a plus
Note: Samples of protocols, publications, scientific evaluation studies/reports that the candidate has authored/co-authored will need to be presented at the time of the interview
- Proven M&E expertise, including M&E plan development and operationalization, data collection, data management, data quality control, supportive supervision, and data analysis.
- Ability to oversee data collection at various levels to ensure accuracy and clarity of data interpretations.
- Expertise in setting up and supervising routine project monitoring processes, including data quality assurance activities.
- Expertise in developing performance measures, evaluation questions and framework and methodology for operationalizing the questions into measures using primary and secondary data sources
- Proven ability to collect and analyze key output and outcome data using Excel (experience with other software such as SPSS, STATA and SAS a plus).
- Ability to convey information effectively through engaging data visualizations.
- Ability to synthesize information and feedback from diverse stakeholders for document refinements and updates
- Ability to work collaboratively across disciplines and support diverse team members in completing tasks.
- Strong communication skills, both written and spoken English
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills, capacity to analyze data, monitor progress, and recommend necessary recourse for maximizing program progress and impact.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills and ability to communicate technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Well-organized and detail oriented with good follow-through.
- Self-starter with ability to handle multiple assignments, establish organizational systems and structures, and support teams to stay on task.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively as a team in a fast-paced, multi-cultural, international environment.
All application letters and detailed CVs, copies of certificates, telephone contacts together with names of three referees should be sent to Email: email@example.com on or before 20 January 2017
mHealth Kenya Ltd.
Rosami Court, 3rd Floor, No.6
Muringa Road, Kilimani