Position: Programme Director – Implementation and Quality
Department & Location: Programs (Based in Nairobi)
Date: January, 2017
Duration: One Year fixed term contract
Reports to: County Director
About Plan: Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it is girls who are most affected.
Background: In the past three years Plan International Kenya has grown its portfolio. Operating in more than twelve counties and with a robust Nairobi urban programme, there is a growing diversity of contracts and grants as well as projects funded by the sponsorship programme.
Increasingly Plan International Kenya is changing its modality to work with and through local partners as well as with government and in public-private partnerships.
With an annual budget of approximately Euro 22 million, Plan International Kenya’s projects reach out to millions of children and the communities in which they live to improve their lives specifically focussing on child protection, girls empowerment, child and maternal health, education, youth employment and economic opportunities as well as disaster risk management.
Summary of Position: The primary responsibility of the Short Term Programme Director of Implementation and Quality (PDIQ) is to lead on project implementation across the Country Office in coordination with the Director of Programmes and in consultation with the Country Director.
This will specifically assess and where necessary address issues in relation to how grants are being implemented in terms of activity planning and accurate and timely delivery and budget management.
Additionally the position will be making sure that all Project Managers are able to deliver as per contract and compliance and ensure the quality of activities being conducted are of a high standard.
This role is responsible for embedding in all programme departments and individual relevant staff work plans, the planning for implementation and delivery of quality of projects, results achievement, ensuring project managers are able to manage their budgets and their teams, and ensure all budget holders for project implementation are fully aware of their responsibilities and accountable for the delivery of their project.
Dimensions of Role: The post-holder will be based in the Nairobi office but travel extensively to various project sites.
S/he will work directly with the Project Managers, Program Implementation Managers and their teams and is responsible for ensuring all projects have realistic activity and budget plans that are hitting their targets each month.
The PDIQ in cooperation with the Director of Programmes will have oversight of all other contributing staff and consultants on projects and ensure quality delivery.
S/he will work closely with Plan International Kenya’s leadership, including the Director Programmes; the Director of Operations, the finance and grants teams; as well as the Programme Managers.
The PDIQ will report directly to the Country Director and be responsible for ensuring the budget holders for individual projects are compliant with donor guidelines, and that internal and external targets and requirements are consistently met and take corrective action when and as needed.
The success of this position will be measured through demonstrating an upturn in the spending pattern and delivery of quality activities.
Each designated project will have realistic plans in place and accountability plans embedded in each individual planning schedule.
Programme Leadership and Financial Management
- Lead high quality, results-oriented programme planning, implementation and reporting in compliance with donor, government and partnership agreements.
- Design and oversee in collaboration with Programme and Project Managers and Project Implementation Managers, annual programme cycle and budget for each project designated to this short term assignment in accordance with different donors’ annual planning cycle and compliance requirements.
- Oversee Project Managers’ and Project Implementation Managers’ work plans, deliverables and compliance requirements and ensure they are holding their teams to account.
- In collaboration with the Director of Programmes and Director of Operations, create management systems and processes consistent with programme implementation needs across Plan International Kenya
- Ensure that each Project Manager is coordinating the timely and efficient procurement of project supplies and services with finance, program and procurement colleagues.
- Ensure that the activities particularly under the sponsorship programme are implemented and aligned to the directions of all other projects and consistent with the proposals that have been approved for education, health, child protection and DRM
- Ensure that local laws and operational policies and protocols, including for security, are observed and respected.
- Serve as liaison with designated Plan International National Offices who are the contract holders of respective projects on project implementation and any specific contractual issues in coordination with the Director of Programmes.
- Ensure each designated project has a clear plan for execution. Ensure each Project Manager is able to fully understand the outcomes of the project and the targets needed to be achieved.
- Lead regular planning and reflection sessions with the relevant Project Managers and Programme Managers to reflect and plan on if best practice and follow up monitoring is being done and achieving the results required.
- Work with program staff and technical advisors in the planning process to identify the technical support needs of the project and ensure this support is provided.
- Identify barriers, risks and opportunities to higher achievement of project implementation and performance.
- In coordination with the Director of Programmes, ensure the implementation and maintenance of M&E tools and frameworks.
Human Resources Management
- Lead and manage a team of project and programme managers to ensure high levels of motivation, understanding, commitment, capacity, and teamwork.
- Participate in staff and consultant recruitment, in collaboration with Human Resources and program stakeholders.
Leadership Attitudes and Behaviours
- Proven leadership, inter-personal and cross-cultural skills, and ability to build and motivate multi-disciplinary teams.
- Possesses a demonstrated ability to establish strong working relationships with senior representatives of international donors, national and local governments and local partners.
- Ability to take responsibility, make decisions and monitor implementation in a timely manner.
- Ability to effectively lead multi-stakeholder meetings and processes.
- Demonstrable skills in strategic planning, financial and human resources management, supervision, and budgeting.
- Demonstrated ability to implement programs with rigorous timelines and deliverables and to track program quality through donor approved monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Ability to compile and ensure finalized reports, analysis and briefing notes are ready for Country Director and donor sign off.
- Strong negotiating, facilitation & influencing skills while maintaining political neutrality.
- Demonstrated creativity and willingness to innovate.
• Strong analytical skills and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to working transparently and with integrity
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Closing Date: 27 Fri Jan, 2017 12:00am