Vacancy Announcement: Health Systems Improvement Advisor (HSIA)
Spark Health was launched in 2011 through a grant from Johnson & Johnson (J&J) to a team at the University of Cape Town, Graduate School of Business (UCT GSB) to explore how leadership and management development principles and practices could be used to accelerate the elimination of mother to child transmission of HIV (“eMTCT”) in Africa.
In collaboration with the National AIDS and STI Control Program (NASCOP) – Kenya Ministry of Health, Spark Health seeks a highly capable leader to work closely with the relevant structures / stakeholders within key priority counties to strengthen the capabilities of health management teams in those Counties to achieve sustainable outcomes.
Expected knowledge, skills and abilities
- Strong team mentorship and coaching skills, including ability to help teams identify and solve problems through relevant and iterative questioning, leading to self-discovery of solutions.
- Strong data-based management and analytical skills, including the use of data to drive decision-making and system improvement.
- Excellent group process and facilitation skills, including presentation, meeting planning and time management.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and productive working relationships and partnerships with stakeholders at all levels of authority.
- Proven conflict management skills, specifically the identification of root causes of conflicts and the ability to facilitate the resolution of conflicts in an objective manner in order to ensure a productive work environment and achievement of goals.
- Relevant applied experience in leading and managing organizational change in a complex environment.
- Mission driven leadership to achieving desired results, making use of the mission to align efforts and maintain focus on the desired outcome.
- Knowledge of the eMTCT landscape and public health systems
- Deep project management skills: ability to work under pressure, respond to deadlines, prioritize competing deliverables, and be flexible and productive while working independently
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to articulate complex concepts with clarity, tact and diplomacy.
- Proficient computer skills, including essential knowledge of common PC applications such as Excel, PowerPoint and Word.
- An intricate understanding of the African public health care landscape
- Passion for improving the public health sector.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Mentoring MoH teams on data-based management practices
- Building relationships with teams during training and implementation phases
- Assisting teams to develop implementation plans