Transparency International – Kenya (TI-Kenya) is part of the Transparency International movement that is a non-partisan coalition of individuals with a shared vision of a corruption free world.
TI-Kenya is an autonomous chapter in the Transparency International movement, a global coalition against corruption with which we share knowledge and exchange ideas for the greater good of Kenya.
TI-Kenya is seeking to recruit a Deputy Communications Officer.
Reports to: Programme Officer
Duty Station: Nairobi
We invite applications from interested persons.
To be considered you must meet the following minimum requirements:
Summary: The communications team offers support to the core programmes of TI Kenya.
The Deputy Communication Officer will work under the supervision of a Programme Officer with the key responsibility of developing and implementing the communication component of TI-Kenya programmes including media relations, publications and event planning to achieve TI Kenya’s strategic goals.
The Deputy Communication Officer shall also collaborate and provide support to the research, monitoring and evaluation programmes.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Programme Officer, the Deputy Communications Officer shall undertake the following functions;
1. Programme Management (Advocacy & Communication Initiative and Activities)
- Assist in the development of programme work plans/schedules and ensure their timely, cost effective and successful implementation.
- Assist in monitoring expenditures, identification of budgets gaps and proper accounts to donor funds. The task will include collaboration with the Finance and Administration department for timely payments of recurrent and other expenditures, reports to donors and other relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure timely production and dissemination of advocacy and communication materials. The tasks involve gathering and editing articles, identification and recruitment of writers, commissioning of articles, interviews, printing and dissemination e.g. ADILI newsletter, communication materials such as videos, brochures, fliers, booklets and reports.
- Develop, update and maintain TI-Kenya’s mailing list for purposes of disseminating TI-Kenya advocacy materials and communication.
- Coordinate the identification and recruitment of qualified service providers including procurement of assets/utilities and consultants for tasks specific to the programme. The Deputy Programme Officer shall prepare the terms of reference, expression of interest and contracts in accordance with TI-Kenya policies and procedures and will facilitate successful delivery of work by such service providers.
- Plan, organize and mobilize participation in TI Kenya events, meetings, forums, workshops, exhibitions, trainings and production of reports/minutes thereto.
- Assist in building capacity of staff and relevant stakeholders on their role in advocacy and communication for social change. The task will involve building capacity for participatory approach to advocacy and communication within the organization and communities through trainings or civic education and development of appropriate IEC materials.
2. Strategic management (Media relations)
- Mobilize the media, regularly update and maintain a database of local and international media contacts and prepare strategic media packs.
- Maintaining relationships with the media to ensure reportage of TI-Kenya activities and visibility campaigns.
- Assist in the integration of advocacy and communication approaches in all the organizations programmes.
3. Web and Social Media Advocacy
- Develop and implement a social media strategy.
- Create relevant content for the website and social media.
- Create, and manage all published content (images, video and written materials including IEC materials and reports).
- Develop and expand community and/or blogger outreach efforts on social media.
- Oversee the design, profiles, images, landing pages and other features of Facebook / Twitter / Instagram / LinkedIn / YouTube / Blog among others.
- Coordinate design and manage social marketing and advocacy campaigns on the various online platforms of TI-Kenya.
- Compile weekly monitoring metrics on social media reach to inform the impact of TI-Kenya’s online platforms.
- Ensure interaction on social media, engaging in debates and responding to questions from the public where appropriate.
- Monitor and share trends in social media tools, applications, design and strategy.
4. Partnerships / External Relationships
- Represent TI Kenya and share experiences with relevant stakeholders and use the opportunity to advocate, promote, maintain partnerships and mainstream transparency to achieve TI – Kenya vision and mission.
- Assist programme partners in development of strategies on advocacy, campaign initiatives and communication. Involves identifying relevant partners, areas of synergies and collective efforts for desired impact on the fight against corruption in Kenya.
- Ensure maintenance of constructive working relations with media, the government of Kenya, civil society, development partners and coordination with TI chapters and affiliates.
5. Resource mobilization
- Assist in development of proposals and/or concepts for financial support and sustainability of the programme. Includes collaboration with all programme officers and assist in maintaining a well managed proposal tracking matrix.
- Assist in research and securing of donors, donor advocacy, attend meetings and assist with correspondence.
6. Institution Learning
- Provide technical support for the development of structured opportunities of institutional learning including project monitoring and evaluation, highlighting success stories and lessons learnt and development of good practices.