UN Women Call for Applications: Roster of Experts 2017
Grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, UN Women works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates the efforts of the United Nations system to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world.
UN Women provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
In order to connect UN Women with a diverse range of knowledgeable and experienced gender experts and trainers around the world who possess expertise in the areas of work covered by UN Women’s mandate, UN Women ESARO is establishing a regional roster of experts and trainers.
This roster will facilitate the recruitment, hiring and evaluation of consultants from several thematic areas.
In this context, UN Women is currently inviting experienced experts and trainers (individual consultants) to apply to be considered for registration in the UN Women ESARO expert and trainers roster in the various thematic areas.
Profiles & Expertise
We are in particular looking for experts from the following sectors;
- CSOs and I/NGOs
- Government agencies
- Regional Economic Commissions
- United Nations
- Development agencies globally
- Industry, business associations and innovation agencies,
- Universities and research institutes and think tanks
…with expertise in at least one of the following thematic areas:
- Governance, Leadership and Political Participation
- Peace and security
- Programme Management
- Research and Statistics
- Rule of law and gender
- Strategic Planning and Coordination
- Sustainable Development Goals
- Violence Against Women and Access to Justice
- Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Communications for Development
- Disaster Risk Reduction
- Environment and gender
- Extractive Industries
- Gender and Development
- Gender Planning and Devolution
- Gender Responsive Budgeting
- Humanitarian, Peace and Security
- Institutional Capacity Assessment
- Knowledge Management
- Library/ Information Management
- Media Relations and Advocacy
- Partnership and Resource Mobilization
- Planning, Monitoring and evaluation
- Sexual Exploitation and Abuse
- Translators (French, Arabic and Portuguese)
We are particularly looking for experts who can provide expertise in the gender dimension of these fields.
Nature of the assignment
Expert reviewers are asked to examine, peer review, UN Women publications and Knowledge Products against established criteria providing comments and relevant approval recommendations and ensuring quality and standards are met as per the guidance.
Projects are monitored and reviewed remotely, i.e. at the expert’s home or place of work, during 3 to 5 days over a period of two weeks.
The review mechanism is voluntary.
- Advanced University degree in diverse areas of expertise listed in the call
- At least five years of proven working experience relevant to the selected thematic area;
- Extensive technical knowledge relevant to the thematic area;
- Excellent drafting and formulation skills; proven record of official reports or papers/studies in the selected area;
- Experience with gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Experience with international development agencies including the United Nations an asset;
- Experience with training and facilitation is an asset.
Evaluation of Applicants:
All applicants will be reviewed and go through a selection and assessment process to demonstrate their technical and organizational capabilities.
Successful applicants will be considered for individual engagements with UN Women in diverse areas of work.
- Successful candidates will be included in the relevant thematic area of the UN Women Roster of Experts;
- Entry into the roster system does not necessarily mean a guaranteed contract with UN Women as this will depend on forthcoming needs;
- When a request for services arises, pertinent UN Women will contact the most appropriate consultant from the roster. While a formal direct selection process will not be conducted, there may be some selection procedures (i.e. verification interview).
- A specific Terms of Reference outlining the outputs for each assignment will be provided and a Special Service Agreement (SSA) Contract will be issued to the consultant, detailing the timeframe and deadlines for the position. Conditions of an assignment may be negotiable;
- Only applicants who pass all screening procedures will be included in the roster.
A brief cover letter (not exceeding one page), clearly indicating
(i) Experience in the area(s) of interest and expertise
(ii) period of availability.
A current completed and signed P11 form/ UN Personal History Form in English (blank form can be downloaded from:
Contact details for 3 references. Please note that your previous employers could also be contacted.
Please specify the area of expertise you are applying for.
An expert can apply for no more than two listed areas in the call
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please make sure you provide all requested materials
Please email your applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org with respective subject line as follows: REF: Expert Area/ 2017. E.g. Agriculture/ 2017
The deadline for submission of applications is 5th February 2017