United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Internal / External Vacancy Announcement
Vacancy Notice No.: SOM/NBI/17/01
Title of Post: Assistant Finance Officer
Type of Appointment: Fixed Term Appointment
Duration: 1 year (Initial)
Position No. 10025294
Date of Issue: 10 January 2017
Location: Nairobi Support Office for Somalia
Closing Date: 23 January 2017
Organizational Context: Assistant Finance Officer reports to the Snr Admin / Finance Officer. The position provides technical support with the processing of financial transactions, and monitor compliance with UNHCR and UN Financial Regulations and Rules.
The incumbent will be expected to undertake regular travel to Somalia, as a support officer.
The incumbent directly supervises general service staff.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- UNHCR’s financial rules and regulations, policies and procedures are adhered to by the office.
- UNHCR’s local cash is safeguarded.
- Monthly accounts are correct and approved.
- Management is promptly informed of major variances in the execution of projects (budgets, finance, implementation or timeframe).
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Contribute to the assessment of budgetary needs for administrative budgets (ABOD); monitor and control ABOD expenditure in the office.
- Analyze, evaluate and control disbursements/receipts, as well as expenditure variances against approved budgets.
- Review vouchers, including ABOD and project disbursements.
- Propose monthly cash requirements for the office, and ensure adequate and timely replenishments of funds;
- Contribute to the preparation and processing of monthly accounts.
- Provide financial status reports to supervisors.
- Analyze and evaluate all financial reports produced on a regular basis.
- Maintain effective business relationships with local banks.
- Support ensuring compliance with UNHCR and UN Financial Regulations and Rules, policies and procedures.
- Ensure that payments are effectuated by the monthly deadline.
- Ensure that monthly accounts are correct and approved, and ensure timely monthly bank reconciliations, including open items, review and clearance of unwanted requisitions and PO balances.
- Conduct regular checks of petty cash and cash accounts.
- Assist and perform Admin functions.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Verify that all financial transactions are correct and in accordance with UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Prepare office-level financial expenditure reports submitted to the regional office or Headquarters.
- Approve vouchers, including ABOD and project disbursements.
Submission of Applications:
Candidates must be Kenyan nationals.
Interested and current staff members should consult the Policy and Procedures on Assignments of Locally recruited Staff (PPAL).
Remuneration: A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
Submission of Applications:
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your letter of motivation, P11 Form and factsheet (for internal candidates only) by e-mail stating the Position Title, Vacancy notice number and your Last Name in the subject line to: email@example.com by 23 January 2017.
The Personal History Form (P11) is attached and also available at the following link: http://www.unhcr.org/recruit/P11_UNHCR.doc
Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a test and oral interview.
No late applications will be accepted. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities.
UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
NB: UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees).
Refugees – who cares? We Do.