Job Opportunity: Project Manager
The Project: VSF Germany is an international Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. In the region, VSF Germany implements activities in Sudan, South Sudan, Kenya, Somalia & Ethiopia.
It focuses on Livestock, food security and Livelihoods, Natural Resources Management, Peace and Conflict, Good governance, Disasters & Emergency, and Agriculture, marketing, but also with developing the capacity of communities and governmental institutions or initiating peace and conflict resolution we work towards food security and strengthened livelihoods of pastoralist communities.
VSF Germany is implementing an EU funded project in Laisamis and Saku sub-counties of Marsabit County. The title of the project is Community Action for Improved Drought Response Resilience (CAIDRR) and Covers Marsabit central and Laisamis Sub-counties respectively.
The overall objective of the programme is ‘to contribute towards improving food security in ASAL livelihoods through enhanced response and resilience to drought’.
The action is being implemented through a consortium of three NGOs (Community Initiatives Facilitation and Assistance- CIFA; Water Right Foundation-WRF and VSF Germany – being Lead agency).
The project intend to achieve the following results:
(i) Capacities and systems for local preparedness, response to asset protection and management actions are improved;
(ii) Access to services and management of livelihood resources and assets are improved and
(iii) Communities contribute to knowledge exchange and policy influence
We seek to recruit a qualified and well experienced Project Manager to support the implementation of the project.
The Project Manager’s position is field based with frequent visits to other locations within the project area.
The incumbent will work in collaboration with other partner organizations & the Head of Programmes. The project ends in September this year hence the duration of employment is 9 months.
I. Leadership & Operations
- Provide direct leadership, management and supervisory for all project staff.
- Conduct training needs assessments on their project team.
- Develop, implement and improve systems for transparent and sound project implementation
- In charge of project related logistics-, HR- and financial management, ensuring strict adherence to donor and VSF Germany rules & regulations.
- Supervise, manage, and monitor all project related operations ensuring timely and cost efficient delivery of all ordered goods in all the field locations.
- Lead the staff on the ground in planning and efficient use of resources.
- Assure completeness and high quality of project reports of team members and address issues as appropriate.
- Ensure compliance with standard policies and procedures.
- Coordinate activities by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, and directing the work of subordinate employees.
II. Project Management
- Pro-actively organize and conduct (baseline) surveys and focus group discussions
- Responsible of the project implementation including control of project expenses.
- Produce and compile internal and donor reports, including coordination and reporting on the project areas.
- Provide technical support and advice to project staff.
- Be proactive in the development of project designs and proposals
- Manage the development of team by ensuring, that project tasks are in line with the project description or Logical framework.
- Create and execute project work plans and revise as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Review deliverables prepared by team before passing to the line manager and other VSF Germany stake holders.
- Minimize the organization’s exposure and risk on project.
- Ensure project documents are complete, current, and stored appropriately.
- Comply with- and enforce standard project implementation policies and procedures.
- Spearhead Monitoring and evaluation activities of the project.
- Prepare the final project report and review if all project documents are complete, scanned and properly orderly stored in a CD.
III. Technical support & capacity building
- Provide support and understanding to staff on project implementation and other relevant project areas.
- Possess a thorough understanding of team capabilities and lobby for the right upgrade.
- Maintain awareness of new and emerging technologies and the potential application on the project activities carried out.
- Identify staff development and training needs especially in areas relating to the core services of the organization and.
- Ensure capacity building of staff
- Compile and submit internal and external, technical and progress reports to the line manager
- Ensure clear channels of communication within the staff team in the project area and with the regional office.
- Active participation in technical meetings and committees on national and project level.
- Develop and maintain partnership with the government ministries stakeholders and collaborators within the project area.
- Participate in the project management, monitoring and analysis of output and outcome indicators
- Keep the project team well informed of changes within the organization and general corporate news.
- Deliver engaging, informative, well-organized presentations in VSF news, newspapers or technical journals/conferences/platforms
- Meet with community representatives or government authorities to determine overall growth and development needs and goals, and to develop and support activities, programs, and plans.
IV. Financial Management
- Develop project activity budget, work plan and expenditure forecasts, for submission to the Head of Finance and Country Director for Kenya.
- Develop monthly activity related financial budget and project expenditure forecasts
- Submit punctual monthly expenditure report according to donor guidelines.
- Review timely monthly financial report on correct bookings and correctness
- Responsible for field expenses and field financial management ensuring strictly standards, rules and procedures provided
- Ensure all project legal documents are complete
- Manage project budget to ensure funds are responsibly utilized as allocated.