Wananchi Group (K) Ltd
Job Title: Asset Accountant
Department: Finance & Admin
Location: Gateway Park , Mombasa Road
Employment Status/ Type: Permanent
Position Reporting to: Chief Accountant
Job Purpose / Summary: The Asset Accountant is responsible for maintaining accurate records of assets i.e. inventory as well as fixed assets, recording asset additions and disposals, calculating resulting gains and losses; tracking asset movements, computing depreciation.
This position also involve the preparation of month-end journal entries arising from fixed asset activities / Inventory, assisting with other financial close-related tasks, and the resolution of discrepancies between the fixed asset module of the ERP and other related modules.
- Oversee the overall asset accounting function including fixed assets as well as inventory
- Provide interface between the WG and suppliers/Contractors on asset book keeping including receiving invoices and recognizing the asset.
- Record fixed asset acquisitions and dispositions in the accounting system.
- Track the compilation of project costs into fixed asset accounts, and close out those accounts once the related projects have been completed
- Recommend to management any updates to accounting policies related to fixed assets. Implement the approved company Asset Policy.
- Assign tag numbers to fixed assets maintain tag records.
- Review and update the detailed schedule of fixed assets and accumulated depreciation. Calculate depreciation for all fixed assets
- Investigate the potential obsolescence of fixed assets as well as recommend to management whether fixed assets should be disposed of.
- Conduct periodic impairment reviews for intangible assets.
- Conduct periodic physical inventory counts of fixed assets.
- Track STB assets movement in various databases including Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Malawi etc
- Prepare audit schedules relating to fixed assets, and assist the auditors in their inquiries.
- Conduct monthly assets –STB’s reconciliation between purchases, receipt, Wincable & provisioning system to ensure completeness of assets records.
- Assess for obsolescence in line with company policy and IFRS
- Conduct analyses related to fixed assets as requested by management.
Key Performance Indicators:
- A clean and updated asset register
- Timely fixed asset reports
- A reconciled fixed assets register with the GL accounts
- A reconciled inventory module with GL accounts
- Ensure all assets are tagged
- Supervise and coordinate monthly stock take
- Reconcile physical stock to book stocks and explain variances
- Develop and maintain policies aligned to IFRS/GAAP/Tax
- Ensure real time update of the inventory
- Manage and coordinate internal and external Audits
- Tracking of the WIP movement
- Monthly Depreciations Process
- Degree in Finance
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA-K)
- 5yrs post Qualification