Action Africa Help International (AAH-I) is an international not-for-profit humanitarian and development agency with headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, and Country Programmes in South Sudan, Kenya, Somalia, Uganda, and Zambia.
AAH-I has a long experience of partnering with UNHCR in delivering humanitarian assistance in South Sudan, Uganda, Zambia and Somalia.
Action Africa Help International has been awarded a contract by UNHCR Kakuma to implement logistics and warehouse interventions for the refugee camp.
AAH-I is seeking a qualified candidate for the following position:
Job Title: Plant Electrician
Job Grade: AH 9
Reports to: Workshop Officer
Staff reporting to this post: N/A
Liaises with: Plant Mechanics, Auto electrician and Mechanics
Duty Station: Kakuma, AAHI Office
Job Summary: The Plant Electrician will be responsible for the general maintenance, servicing and repairs of all Electrical equipment; generators and other electrical components.
The role will ensure safe keeping and maintain safe working conditions to avoid risk that may cause injury to himself as well as the others.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The General Maintenance, Servicing and Repairs of all Electrical equipment, generators and other electrical components.
- To carry out service and preventive maintenance of compounds and boreholes generators including minor and major overhauls of electrical components.
- Skilled in wiring and installations, servicing, repairing and maintenance of diesel and petrol driven generators ranging from 4KVA to 500 KVA units or higher.
- Skilled in understanding schematic diagram and lay out of all electrical aspects of generator installation, including connecting generator to the electrical systems of the residences and offices in clean and tidy manner and with evenly distributed voltage.
- Responsible for repair, maintenance of generators mechanical and electrical accessories. Overhaul and repairs of electrical accessories on engines and other mechanical component.
- Will carry out major repairs, breakdown of generators mechanical, electrical and accessories in Kakuma and Kalobeyei. Will keep proper records of maintenance and repair carried out in each generator and prepare a list of items for preventive maintenance and electrical installation and submit to superior for follow up.
- Will write down on each generators file- repairs carried out for future reference this covers, types, model, brand, KVA, make. Will report any time when the unit is due for servicing
- Will ensure that liquid solutions are topped up added or filled only at the right quantity.
- Ensure safekeeping and safe working conditions to avoid risk that may cause injury to himself as well as the others.
- Responsible for motor rewinding of generators, alternators, household appliances and use of correct sizes/gauges/thickness of wires required for the task.
- Responsible for the maintenance of office/residence household appliances/equipment such as; heaters, air cooler, pumps, refrigerators, washing machines, dryers, fans, airconditioning and others.
- Maintains maintenance records for, Gensets and other electrical equipment for easy verifications and reference reports that may be required.
- Will ensure maintain proper use of tools, equipment and proper safe keeping and orderliness of the working area.
- Will attend routine maintenance, servicing to the Electrical equipment, generators, pumps and others and will check for any signs of crack or loose fittings, leaks, or worn out parts.
- Comply with all applicable standards, policies, and procedures, including safety procedures and the maintenance of a clean work area.
- Recommend, develop, and perform preventive and general maintenance procedures such as cleaning, power-washing and vacuuming equipment, oiling parts, and changing filters.
- Knowledgeable on operation and maintenance of the hybrid solar and diesel water pumping systems at the boreholes in the camps
- Be prepared to travel on frequent basis from Logistic base or field offices to fulfill the tasks outlined in this job description.
- Will perform and carry out other duties/ jobs that may be assigned from time to time as normal routine duties
- Skilled in understanding schematic diagram and lay out of all electrical aspects of generator installation, including connecting generator to the electrical systems of the residences and offices in clean and tidy manner and with evenly distributed voltage. To update Electrical equipment/generators and other assets repair schedule.
- Assist in identifying needed tools or equipment for future needs. Records each job time performed on the time sheet and job carried out to each job.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Diploma in Electrical/Mechanical engineering.
- Knowledge in computer literacy / data processing (Word, Excel, Access)
- English read / written / Spoken
- At least 5 years proven work experience in operation and maintenance of plant electrical system, diesel-run generators and other electrical equipment in a busy workshop or institution including frequency adjustments to suit the various electrical current requirements.
- Experience in repair, maintenance and installation of generators and electrical pumps (boosters & submersible), wiring and repair of electrical control panels, commissioning, surveying, and pre-delivery inspection, and load designing.
- Experience in boreholes equipment, retrieval and installation of submersible pumps, knowledge in bore drilling/development is an added advantage.
- 2 years experience of working with INGO in a similar capacity will be an added advantage
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Ideally, a knowledge of spoken/written language widely used in the country
- Sensitivity in handling and disposing of documents which may be important
- Reliable and good organisational skills.
Kenyan nationals and candidates currently based in Kakuma are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should email application letters and CVs (with 3 referees) addressed to email@example.com
or drop off their applications to Action Africa Help Kenya, Kakuma NCCK compound.
The Subject Line must show the job title of the position applied for.
Deadline for applications is 20th February 2017. AAH-I is an equal-opportunity employer.
Only those selected for the interviews will be contacted.
AAH-I does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process nor does it use recruitment agents.