Busara Center for Behavioral Economics
Position: Senior Manager, Finance and Accounting
Reports to: Director of Operations
Deadline to apply: 10th March 2017
The Busara Center for Behavioral Economics is seeking qualified individuals for the position of Senior Manager, Finance and Accounting.
The Senior Manager (SM) is responsible for Busara’s financial and management accounting, including regulatory reporting and global financial projections and analysis.
Based in Nairobi, the SM will set and oversee the strategic direction and daily activities of the Finance and Accounting team, which involves managing the Finance and Accounting office in Nairobi, as well as liaising with the US and other country offices in Africa.
The SM will take on a driving role with respect to policy revision, keeping up with relevant regulatory changes in all markets where Busara has a presence.
We are looking for a high-capacity, action-oriented individual who has finance experience, is hands-on, invests in team development, and is keen to capitalize on his/her experience to help Busara continue to build and grow high-performing organization.
- Manage the daily activities and strategic direction of the Finance and Accounting team at Busara’s Nairobi office
- Oversee day to day accounting, invoicing, cash management, internal financial reporting, and any necessary donor reporting
- Prepare regular financial reports and projections for Busara senior management
- Contribute to building and monitoring the annual organizational and Operations budget
- Responsible for strict controls and the smooth flow of funds for Busara’s many projects in the field, both in Kenya and in other African countries
- Coordinate the work of the Finance and Accounting team to ensure timely and accurate reporting to management, project teams, and the Board of Directors
- Continually review financial and accounting practices and procedures for better efficiency and risk reduction
- Identify and proactively raise potential issues or opportunities for improvement in accounting practices, financial processes, and controls, working with Busara senior management to address or implement solutions
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with relevant statutory requirements and standards in Kenya and other African markets where Busara works
- Provide actionable budget guidance and financial planning advice to project teams, starting from the proposal stage, and including budget monitoring and project closeout
- Oversee design and implementation of accessible, actionable training to project staff on relevant Finance and Accounting policies
- When Busara opens an office in a new country, train Operations staff there on Finance and Accounting, continually monitoring compliance with our policies and practices
- Build a system to ensure consistent application of Busara’s Finance and Accounting policies throughout all projects, taking into consideration any relevant donor or client requirements
- Regularly liaise with Busara senior management to monitor spend against budget, assess risk areas, and continually grow and refine the organization’s finance function
- Proactively develop Busara’s financial forecast analysis to assist in areas such as management of currency risk, cost allocation rates, etc.
- An advanced degree in business, economics, finance, or a related field (MBA, Msc Finance will be an added advantage)
- CPA-K holder or ACCA equivalent
- 5+ years of experience in a similar role, with experience in managing staff
- Ability to effectively communicate and project financial policies to other staff
- Ability to aggressively anticipate workload and issues, in order to prioritize team workflow and deliverables
- Positive working attitude, with a focus on results
- Strong experience in financial analysis and building projections, with advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel (with the ability to work with lookups and pivot tables)
- Strong interpersonal skills, as well as excellent written and verbal communication
- Deep knowledge of standard accounting principles (i.e., GAAP, IFRS, etc.)
- Self-motivated, with a desire for continual learning
To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV to email@example.com with the subject line Senior Manager, Finance and Accounting REF NO: BU-2017-02-20.
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis.