Duma Works is recruiting a Finance Manager for our client; an association of Christians who invest in people living in poverty around the world to unleash their potential to earn a livelihood, provide for their families and enrich their communities.
Position Summary: The Finance Manager will provide leadership in implementation of the association’s financial policies and procedures for the country office, ensure that internal and external financial requirements are met accordingly, ensure the financial integrity of the operations with regard to controls, systems, human resources and reporting are held to the highest national and international standards, and ensure adherence to Government of Kenya’s laws.
The Finance Manager is responsible for budgeting and cash flow management, managing all financial documentation, effect payments, evaluation and reporting activities related to the company’s program in Kenya.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure financial/accounting activity is carried out in accordance with the company’s accounting policies.
- Maintain detailed and accurate records for all financial transactions in an organized and professional manner.
- Ensure the program adheres to Government of Kenya’s laws, including financial reporting, tax, labour and proper registration with all relevant authorities as required.
- Identify areas for financial and administrative improvement and work with Country Program Manager to implement those improvements. Keep Country Program or Project Manager abreast of Kenyan legal requirements for the association’s operations.
- Maintain close and cooperative working relationships with financial staff, Value Chain and Capacity Building managers, and KFPs.
- Provide support to project management and finance staff, and partners in the form of training and regular follow-up/review to ensure that Financial and Legal procedures are being implemented and are readily understood by all staff.
- Work with senior management to develop and meet operating plans and budgets.
- Perform and/or supervise daily functions including recording all cash, check and bank transfer transactions, maintain cash and bank ledgers, monitor cash advances and field expense reports, reconcile cash on hand and monthly bank reconciliation.
- Ensure all cash is reconciled on a minimum weekly basis, reporting any over/under to the Field Project Manager and investigate any over/under situations.
- Administer all cash advances to employees and KFPs, reconciling all receipts and remaining cash at month’s end.
- Review financial transactions for the association’s operations as appropriate (includes vouchers, Cash Advances, transfers, etc.). Ensure adequate cash flow for operations and safety of financial resources at all locations.
- Provide required weekly & monthly financial reports by specified deadlines to the Country Program or Project Manager and the HQ.
- Manage successfully all audit requirements of and coordinate with auditors from the Government of Kenya, the association’s headquarters and DFTAD.
- Provides overall supervision to the finance staff and partner finance staff. Takes part in the national leadership team and assists in ensuring the success of the association in Kenya through motivation, direction, review and feedback of assigned tasks.
- Finance Pillars: Ensure control, monitoring and execution of all financial and related activities within the country, like yearly budgeting, administration, planning & control, ICT, procurement and logistics in line with all applicable legislations and regulations, applicable guidelines and strategies and Project agreements
- Financial Planning and Control Cycle: Prepare and communicate on budgets, formulate, communicate and monitor procedures, guidelines and work instructions for financial administration for the portfolios, within the guidelines of the regional controller and corporate standards
- Financial Administration and Accounting: Check and consolidate financial data for the country/portfolios/funds, ensure processing of accounts payable and accounts receivable, tax related requirements, carry out reconciliation of administrations, manage the ledger accounts as well as manage and maintain cash and liquidity levels, aligned to financial regulations, the association’s financial standards and guidelines of the HQ Controller, and ensure relevant registration and documentation and archiving
- Information Services: Provide financial data and analyses to relevant internal and external parties as input for further decision-making and handling as well as answer questions regarding financial administration and data, based on requests and (corporate or regional) procedures as well as monitor the delivery of ICT services within the country, based on the Service Level Agreement with the external service provider and corporate ICT services
- Internal Control: Conduct internal compliance and control assessments, identify and address risk areas and implement measures to minimize the risk of irregularities, coordinate audits, based on corporate and regional compliance and audit procedures and in consultation with HQ controller and Project Managers
- Logistics and Purchasing: Analyse major investments and cost accounts, ensure, oversee and approve on procurement and maintenance of equipment, assets and means of transport, and the relevant contracts and leases as well as logistics and travel arrangements, balancing user requirements and business needs and budget, and aligned to corporate procurement guidelines and authorization levels
- Management Reporting: Collect, review and analyse and interpret (trends in) financial and non-financial data, draft financial and administrative reports on country/portfolio/fund/donor financial and non-financial indicators, using the corporate and Project/ donor reporting formats and within guidelines of the HQ Financial controller
- Essential: Bachelors of Commerce, in Accounting or Business Management with minimum of 5 years in experience in international standards of project accounting, financial management including budgeting, grants and contracts.
- Certified Public Accountant with valid membership, 3+ post qualification experience.
- Desired: Master of Business Administration, Grant Management Certification and senior experience as a chief financial officer.
- Strong experience with international audit requirements
- Working knowledge of major donor funded operations, finance services and practices
- Excellent computer skills in Excel & ACCPAC software.
- Experience in managing International Donor financial reports and relationships, especially desirable is experience with Canadian donors
- Excellent oral and written communication in English and Swahili
- Creates an effective work environment though exceptional interpersonal, communication, teambuilding and relationship building skills
- Proven experience in Team management, through delegation, clear assignment of responsibilities, provision of sufficient authority and budget, and performance assessment.
- Results and solution oriented approaches that demonstrate accountability and commitment
- Demonstrated ability to mobilize stakeholders and lead and facilitate collaborative processes.
- Proven and adaptable interpersonal and cross cultural communication skills.
- Good leadership skills with particular skills to work as a catalyst and facilitator.
- Direct private sector experience is desirable
- Sector experience in agriculture/agribusiness is desirable.
- Prior work experience in Kenya
- Appreciation and support of the association’s faith, values, mission and purpose.
Supervisor: Field Project Manager
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to firstname.lastname@example.org marking the subject as “2683”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 2683 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: 28th February 2017
N.B.* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test. If you have any issues with the process, please reach out to +254702093793.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer.