Duma Works is recruiting a People and Operations Manager for our client in Nairobi.
The company is a fast growing consultancy business that helps businesses, governments and institutions tackle complex social, economic and political challenges.
About the Role: The team is brought together for their adventurous spirit, understanding of complex problems and track record of delivering change. It shares a relentless optimism for Africa’s future, a hunger to move from dialogue to action, and a desire for excellence.
We are in search of a brilliant and professional Operations & People Manager (O&P Manager) who will provide the highest levels of support to the staff, consultants and wider community, as well as ensure quality oversight for our operations, risk management and project delivery.
People Management (Approx 35%)
We are a business defined by the quality of our people.
The O&P Manager will lead the company’s People function, which in practice means leading on our support to consultants and the company’s wider community as well as supporting the Corporate Services Manager in overseeing the internal support to staff.
1. Building and maintaining a professional community of the Consultants – The O&P Manager will lead and improve our processes and systems for identifying, recruiting, tracking and managing our brilliant consultants.
They will ensure consultants have a deep sense of connection with the company and are supported effectively to deliver brilliant work.
Examples of important responsibilities might include;
- Developing and implementing high quality induction processes;
- Incorporating performance management processes into the way we work with consultants;
- Establishing and implementing professional development processes for consultants where appropriate;
- Maintaining consistent communications for consultants;
- Creating a professional community of practice.
2. Building a wider community – The O&P Manager will design and oversee our efforts to deepen the company’s community of friends, partners and clients.
These may include leading the community building events and Gatherings, Change Labs, Annual Retreat and other fora for engaging the company’s friends and partners.
The role will also support communications to external partners through newsletters, online forums and social media channels.
In doing so, the O&P Manager will represent the company, helping to forge new networks and strengthening existing relationships.
3. Supporting staff recruitment and development – The company’s Corporate Services Manager leads on our internal support to the staff. As such the O&P Manager will help strengthen the way the company supports its staff, including by leading on the recruitment of Africa-based staff, supporting the on-boarding and induction to new staff, supporting the delivery of our performance development and management processes; and managing the evolution and compliance of HR policy.
This will also mean taking a role in the design of the company’s Annual Retreat and other events designed to build a strong team at the heart of the company
Operations Management (Approx 45%)
The company is highly regarded by our clients for effective, safe and efficient management of consulting projects across Africa.
The O&P Manager will lead our Operations function to ensure we continue to oversee our project delivery, risk management and operations management with the highest quality.
1. Managing risk – The O&P Manager will lead the company’s oversight and management of risk. This will include the health, safety and security risks related to project delivery as well as the wider corporate and political risks faced by the organisation.
As such, the O&P Manager will be responsible for the company’s Risk Management Framework, embedding quality risk management throughout our projects, and strengthening the capacity of our business to identify, mitigate and respond effectively to risk.
2. Ensuring quality project delivery –The company’s work is delivered through consulting projects.
The O&P Manager will lead on our work to strengthen our approach to project management across the diverse types of projects in our portfolio, including by improving the systems, processes and procedures which underpin project delivery.
The O&P Manager will also directly support the Project Directors, Team Leaders and Project Coordinators to ensure project delivery is as robust as possible.
This will extend to support for work planning, budget management, risk management and staffing as appropriate.
3. Managing the Consulting Kenya office – The role of the O&P Manager will extend to managing our office in Kenya.
This will include ensuring all corporate and compliance related tasks are delivered with quality, all aspects of our office infrastructure are managed effectively.
The role will also include serving as the lead for the Kenya team, coordinating tasks and priorities across the team, providing coaching and mentoring support and ensuring strong links with the UK and other offices as required.
4. Project Directing – Depending on the individual, the role of the O&P Manager may extend to serving as Project Director for appropriate projects.
The role of Project Director may encompass coaching, mentoring and managing a project team, and overseeing all aspects of our project and people management framework for a specific project.
Other Responsibilities (Approx 20%)
We are a fast-growing consulting business, with an expanding portfolio of impactful work being delivered across the continent. As such, no single Terms of Reference can adequately cover the extent of possible responsibilities required of our staff members.
We therefore place a premium on the flexibility of staff to proactively seek areas beyond their Terms of Reference to contribute to our growth and community.
Essential Professional Skills and Experience
- Outstanding team and people management skills – The candidate will be able to demonstrate their experience in working effectively with staff, consultants and institutional partners at all levels and in multinational teams. They will be able to highlight their experience with the technical processes required for attracting, recruiting, retaining and developing outstanding people, as well as demonstrate strong skills of coaching, mentoring, developing and managing people.
- Strong operations & risk management experience – The candidate will have a proven track record in managing operations similar to those of the company. They will be able to demonstrate a thorough understanding of the nature of the risks our work is exposed to, and a background in identifying, mitigating and responding to such risks.
- Excellent project management experience – The candidate will have a proven track record of managing complex projects and initiatives, particularly in regions affected by conflict and insecurity, and demonstrate strong experience with all aspects of effective project management, including related systems, risk and budget management.
- Experience of project delivery in Africa – The candidate will be experienced in managing operations and projects in Africa, preferably East Africa, where the company’s operations are based.
- Understanding of the development sector – The role requires strong knowledge of and experience working with institutional donors, public sector organisations and/or the private sector across a range of development issues.
- Excellent relationship and communication skills – Along with outstanding relationship management skills, the role requires excellent written, oral and presentation skills as a pre-requisite.
- A background in conflict-affected and fragile environments – Ideally, the candidate will have experience and comfort working within countries, regions or areas affected by conflict, insecurity, violence or instability.
- Technical experience in conflict, extremism or security related fields – Our work in extremism, stabilisation, community security is growing. Ideally the candidate will have a degree of technical experience in related fields and be able to contribute to the development of our work in this area.
- Commercial consulting experience – Ideally, the candidate will have had experience working within or with a commercial consultancy based organisation.
- Living and working in East Africa – Ideally with the right to live and work in Kenya.
Style and Approach
- Excited to be in an entrepreneurial, start-up environment – This means a willingness to be flexible in the role, do what it takes to get the job done; comfortable negotiating with senior clients, and willing to, when needed, get stuck in with basic tasks.
- Proactivity and autonomy – The company has a culture that values collaboration, relationships and high quality delivery. As a manager, the role requires a collaborative style, someone willing to be challenged by anyone in the organisation, able to provide coaching and hold people to account. The O&P Manager will be comfortable in an agile organisational environment not driven by hierarchy.
- Focused on client needs – The O&P Manager will be comfortable working directly with clients across all levels of seniority, curious to understand their issues and willing to challenge them to help create the best possible solutions. The successful candidate will be an ambassador for the company and be able to represent the organisations in different forums and with a wide variety of organisations.
- A curiosity about the company’s Complexity-based practice – and a willingness to invest in and be a champion of the company’s complexity aware approach to delivering change- including providing thought leadership and practice support to the team and consultants with whom you work
Location: The role is full-time based in Nairobi. The company also has offices in Kigali, Rwanda and Brighton, UK. Some regional travel may be required.
Compensation & Benefits: The position comes with an attractive compensation package based on skills and experience. This will be a permanent position, with 3-month trial period and then annual review process to ensure performance and remuneration is acceptable to both parties.
How to Apply
Send your Cover Letter and detailed CV to email@example.com marking the subject as “2675”, Your Full name & Phone number e.g. 2675 Barack Obama, +2547xxxxxxxx. If you don’t follow these instructions, your application will not go through.
Deadline for receiving applications: 28th February 2017
N.B.* You will receive a confirmation email and an alert to take a basic screening test over SMS or online. The email with the test may not arrive immediately. Please be patient. The email/SMS test will typically be 5-8 questions to help us understand your background. Regular SMS rates apply to the test. If you have any issues with the process, please reach out to +254702093793.
If you apply and don’t meet these minimum qualifications, we won’t be able to forward your application to the employer.