A leading Fashion Retailer / Brand across East Africa; with stores in Nairobi, Mombasa and Kisumu is seeking to fill the position of a Country General Manager (GM).
Overall Job Objective: The position will be reporting to the District Manager.
The GM will be responsible for rolling out the company’s strategy & plan within the country by leading and managing the existing stores and by setting up the required end to end operations for stores.
He/She will be required to build the company’s brand both in Kenya and South Africa through networking and collaborating with internal and external stakeholders, and develop and leverage business relationships / networks to achieve business goals.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
- Provide input into the strategy and operating plans.
- Deliver against all set targets on the scorecard, and coach and develop management in achieving their individual scorecards.
- Ensure stores adherence to the brand standards, product and store operational requirements.
- Influence and integrate with key business unit stakeholders to meet operational plans, maximize selling opportunities and implement new initiatives.
- Build relationships with government and suppliers and to ensure delivery of the strategy and plans.
- Ensure all operating processes are effectively implemented and maintained to sustain profitability, protect the brand values, and deliver effective service levels.
- Build deep retail knowledge in Kenya through coaching and effective implementation of tailored and appropriate training programmes.
- Facilitate development and implementation of marketing plans.
- Build an understanding of the financial model and the levers needed to drive further profitability.
- Constantly seek opportunities in stores to increase sales and maximize returns on space and stock.
- Provide leadership and ensure that there is an effective loss protection plan focused on stock loss, till shorts and cash losses.
- Ensure INCO terms are fully understood and insurance claims lodged where appropriate as a means to identify and reduce loss events.
- At least a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, FMCG, Commerce, Economics, Retail Management or related.
- At least 6-10 years’ experience of either operating a Retail (FMCG) full line store and Regional Manager experience would be advantageous OR managing a Retail Operation as a Country General Manager and at least
- 5 years professional experience at senior management level in the Retail / FMCG environment.
- Must reside in Kenya
- Must be able to speak, read and write English
- Must be in the possession of a valid passport
- Must be in the possession of a valid driver’s license
- Detailed knowledge of Clothing, General Merchandise (must have – retail knowledge & experience – Foods experience would be advantageous)
- Detailed understanding of corporate selling processes
- Good understanding of sales management and visual requirements
- Financial acumen & business report writing skills
- Ability to maximize sales
- Proven leadership and management experience in retail stores
- Driving a performance motivated culture and development of people
- Ability to coach and develop
- Demonstrates Passion and Commitment for the brand and customers
- Demonstrates a commitment to High Performance – delivery and goal driven, flexible and thrives on and responds to performance feedback
If you meet the minimum qualifications, send your application quoting the job title (Country General Manager) on the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org