FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions.
Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges.
FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of:
Laboratory Specialist / Biosafety Lead
Project: CDC Project
Region: Rift Valley & Western
Job Requisiton ID: 18210
Area: Laboratory Services
Description: This position will provide technical support to clinical laboratories being supported by CDC in Kenya (Rift Valley and Western regions).
The Biosafety Lead will be responsible for all program biosafety and biosecurity activities.
He/she will be reporting to the PI on matters relating to waste management, injection safety, infection prevention and control (IPC), administrative and environmental control to reduce exposure to infections, and occupational safety and health (OSH).
He/she will be expected to work closely with all program staff, and in particular CQI Lead in providing technical guidance and capacity building to county staff on implementation of the various guidelines relating to safety.
He/she will coordinate the training of facility-based staff on injection safety, infection control and waste management and OSH.
The officer will work with counties to customize the various biosafety and biosecurity guidelines.
- Degree in biological science or laboratory sciences within a clinical or diagnostic discipline or Higher National Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology or equivalent with 5-7 years of experience.
- At least two years’ experience working within biosafety and biosecurity framework. Must be knowledgeable in laboratory practice, occupational health and safety, biosafety and infection prevention and control (IPC).
- At least four years related work experience within a clinical or research laboratory including experience with laboratory quality control and quality assurance systems and implementation as well as SLMTA/SLIPTA.
- Ability and aptitude to provide laboratory technical assistance and capacity building services and to perform quality assurance assessments against accepted national and international standards and regulations.
- Demonstrated creative problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills including experience in training and mentoring staff and others.
- Ability to travel within Kenya for up 60% of the time.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
Interested candidates are encouraged to CLICK HERE to register and apply online through FHI 360’s Career Center
Please specify source in your application and quote the Job/Requisition ID provided on the subject line while sending your application, CV/resume including salary requirements, to be received not later than February 16, 2017.
Kindly note that only shortlisted persons will be contacted.